The Science of Vinyl/Analog Setups

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why vinyl/analog setups sound the way they do. When I see discussions on tables, cartridges, tonearms and even phono cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like isolation, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things discussed like wow, rumble, resonance, compliance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t vinyl/analog setups discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivists” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in vinyl/analog setups. 

I know vinyl/analog setups are often system-dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcelander
Jim raised an interesting point, timing. Fascinating subject, since when anyone figures out what time is you let me know. Kidding. Sort of. Never good taking any of this stuff too seriously. Especially where you got all kinds of stuff like frequency as a function of time, fourier transform, the craziness of people being able to hear jitter distortion measured in picoseconds, on and on.

Cool stuff. Sounds real sophisiticated. Here's a real good trick anyone wants a nice little reality-check to keep things in perspective.

Anyone ever heard a gramophone? The original record player. Needle you could sew a baseball glove with, drug along with half a pound of tracking force, vibrates a bit of foil the tinny sound of which travels down an expanding pipe until it comes out the other end. 

Purely mechanical. No magnets. No electricity of any kind anywhere. No RIAA, no equalization of any kind anywhere. Talk about analog! The squiggle on the black disk creates a squiggle in the air. 

I ask again: anyone ever heard a gramophone? I have. In an antique store one day. They had one. They had some of the heavy black disks. The lady was nice enough to put one on for me.

You ever get the chance, do not pass Go, give it a try. Amazing experience. Unlike anything else I have ever heard. In terms of all our beloved audiophile standards it is pure crap. Yet at the same time it is hair-raisingly live and real! Exactly why is hard to explain. Maybe because, unlike today where we get excited at the feeling of recreating the performer in our room, the gramophone creates the distinct impression the performer is IN THERE! 

I don't know if its timing. I really have no idea what it is. Only thing I know, whatever it is, analog has it in spades. And digital does not.
Yes, the performer seems to be inside the gramophone.  And he or she also seems to be dying to get out.  But I do get what you mean by the sense of immediacy.  Unfortunately, it covers the audio bandwidth from about 300Hz to 2kHz.  Within its severe limits, the gramophone has the character of a horn loudspeaker (maybe because all the "amplification" depends upon a real horn), which sounds very immediate and fast.
I think you have to differentiate between acoustical and electrical recordings on ’78s. The latter did involve ’electricity’- at least in the creation of them. 
I get what you mean about the immediacy of the sound.
That’s something that some vintage style analog systems can do with LP.
Wonderful tone.
Post removed 
For you measurement types, based on the following specs, how are each of these cartridges going to sound? Since I have had both, I know if the specs actually tell the difference in sound quality. 

Frequency Response: 10Hz - 60kHz
Channel Separation at 1KHz: 40dB
Input Load: 47K
Output: 5.0mV
Recommended Tracking Force: 1.5Gms
Stylus Type: Elliptical
Inductance: 45mH
Resistance: 475Ω
Compliance CUs: 20
Stylus Replacement: Factory
Mounting: Standard
Weight: 6.5g

Stylus: Selected Contact Line low mass Nude Stylus 
Radius of curvature: 6 x 17 µm
Cantilever: Boron
Recommended Tracking Force: 1.8-2.2 gm
Effective tip mass: 0.32 mg
Compliance: 10 µm/mN
Body material: Corian and Brass
Frequency Response: 15-45,000 Hz (±2.5 dB)
Channel Separation:
  1000 Hz: >28 dB
  50-15,000 >25 dB
Channel Difference: <1.0 dB
Output Voltage: 2.4 mV
Weight: 10.27 Gms
Load: => 47 kohms

i look at a couple of specs to determine if a cart will match up with my arm and my phono preamp. After that, I’ll let my ears determine which piece sounds better.