A DAC that can make digital sound analog?

Hi All,

I have a ModWright Oppo 105D. It’s excellent....but it sure don’t sound like vinyl or tape.

What DACs have you heard that really work like magic on digital audio files? 

I am interested in DACs that kill that digital glare/blare, that gives you that sense of ‘blackness’ or ‘darkness’ to the audio soundscape, really letting you hear into the mix...ya know that layering, space and depth that is very evident on tape.

Very curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbrettmcee
OP, 

I had the same issue and question on two threads. I see splenty of great recommendations above. I seriously considered 3 of them. Unltimately I went with a Doge 7 tube DAC.  I’m not a pro reviewer and so much of this is subjective so I can’t tell you it’s a panacea. But it has gotten me very very close to my vinyl rig. 

My vinyl is played through a Technics 1200GAE with an ART9 MC cartridges, fed to a Manley Chinook—if that gives any indication of my analogue quality. 

I have been pretty happy for a couple years with the Exogal.Comet Plus.  Then I met Benjon Zwickel of Mojo Audio. First he substituted his illuminati power supply for The plus.  Subtle butt clear improvement in all aspects of the music. Then he plugged in his Mystique DAC. The difference was not subtle.  Two measures into the first song revealed greater clarity, focus, pace.   The music has a palpable, engaging immediacy that is irresistible. By the way, his déjà vu server knocked out my previous resolution Audio and Theta front ends. 
Actually, the problem mostly arises during the analog laser reading process. You know, what with the CD flopping around in there like crazy and the high energy scattered laser light getting into everything. 🤪  Yes, I know what you’re thinking: “But the Reed Solomon error detection/correction codes are supposed to fix any errors.”