Tight bass sub recommendations

What are the recommendations for a high quality subwoofer set- up. I have Maggie’s 1.7I speakers which I love but I think could use a little sub energy. Most of what I have tested seems a little boomy. I know there are 2 schools of thought 1 sub or 2 subs. I’m just looking for a deep Tight bass. Thoughts???
schmitty1
@gdnrbob I wasn't referring to you specifically, just making a generalization.  I'm also a photographer, and the same thing happens when someone decides to take up that hobby.

Q "What camera should I buy?"

A "Nikon/Canon/Sony/etc. (whatever I own) is the best!"

Your response was more on point, mentioning a specific feature that might be of benefit to the OP's system. 
@big greg, 
No problem.
@millercarbon,
I have no doubt 'The Swarm' works well, but it just makes sense that multiple subs will nullify/even out room nodes. Any of the subs listed would do that, when 4 or more were hooked up. 
The problem is who has that much space? Not all of us have a dedicated listening room.
B
2 REL S3s compliment my Martin Logan Montis.

Montis is run by a Krell KSA-200s. OMG
I have 2 more REL S3s put away for the 4 subwoofers effect. It can wait. My family is being kind as it is. Got them at a steal of a price. One day!!

Thank you millercarbon for your kind words.

Gdnrbob made an insightful observation: "...it just makes sense that multiple subs will nullify/even out room nodes. Any of the subs listed would do that, when 4 or more were hooked up."

Yup. That’s why I don’t claim that my four small subs are the one and only way to do it. For example Millercarbon is building his own four-sub system, using a better woofer than the one I use.

And the subs don’t have to be identical either. So you can start with what you have and add on.

Duke