Tight bass sub recommendations

What are the recommendations for a high quality subwoofer set- up. I have Maggie’s 1.7I speakers which I love but I think could use a little sub energy. Most of what I have tested seems a little boomy. I know there are 2 schools of thought 1 sub or 2 subs. I’m just looking for a deep Tight bass. Thoughts???
schmitty1
2 REL S3s compliment my Martin Logan Montis.

Montis is run by a Krell KSA-200s. OMG
I have 2 more REL S3s put away for the 4 subwoofers effect. It can wait. My family is being kind as it is. Got them at a steal of a price. One day!!

Thank you millercarbon for your kind words.

Gdnrbob made an insightful observation: "...it just makes sense that multiple subs will nullify/even out room nodes. Any of the subs listed would do that, when 4 or more were hooked up."

Yup. That’s why I don’t claim that my four small subs are the one and only way to do it. For example Millercarbon is building his own four-sub system, using a better woofer than the one I use.

And the subs don’t have to be identical either. So you can start with what you have and add on.

Duke

That's the beauty of the Swarm approach. Because room reinforcement characteristics are so dominant, which sub matters much less than their number, location, and phase. And my understanding is, pretty much in that order. In other words four of just about anything beats one of just about anything. Especially if the four are optimally located, powered and phased. Might be a bit of an exaggeration or over generalization but this crowd being such a hard sell its warranted.

My set will use the same four 10" drivers, but in two different enclosures- two sealed and two ported. Plugging a port converts a cab into a sealed enclosure, making for three optional configurations. Together with placement and phase that is a huge amount of tuning flexibility and control!

The vast majority still do not appreciate what a game-changer this is. Which is good- I have a Talon Roc sub to sell! Depending on what that goes for this may turn out to be one of the most cost-effective upgrades ever!

color me fanboy but 2 built in subs and 11 bands of analog and variable Q and I have killer audiophile bass right at my listening position....and ha, IF I want to add two more I can....

and the transfer function function of my main amp shapes the whole shebang....

let me see..great  bass everywhere but no stereo image in that far left corner......yep, guess I should retreat to bose 901.....