Splitter question

I bought a small (physically and power output) tube amp for my daughter and have been trying out different tubes and speaker inputs to see what I like best and to burn in for her. The amp has only one input source. I plan on buying her an inexpensive turntable since she loves playing records (which she calls VIN...ALL), but she also has a CD player. I came up with what I thought was a great idea, but it didn’t work!  I put a splitter in the amp’s input so I could plug in 2 sources and just play which one I wanted. With one source plugged in to the splitter it worked but as soon as I put the cable from the 2nd source in too the 1st source stopped working. 

Are splitters only good for output and won’t work for input?  If this is true is there a way for me to provide 2 sources in or will she just have to unplug the 1st source and then plug in the 2nd if she wants to change from CD to VIN...ALL?

Thanks for any input. 
ekimg
Adjust the volume on the Schiit and use the other as the primary. Or you can do it vice versa!
That makes no sense..I have used the audioquest 1/2 adapters and never had any trouble..Was the power on both units turned on?
No. I assumed I could only have one source on at a time to isolate the source I was playing?  If both the tt and the cd were on at the same time wouldn’t both be going into the input at the same time?  Using Audioquest hard splitter...1 male to 2 female. 
While there are some circumstances in which routing two outputs to one input with a splitter would work ok, there are many more circumstances in which the results will be either what you have described, or very poor sonics, or possibly even damage, eventually if not sooner.  It all depends on the specific designs that are involved, but generally speaking it is an approach that should be avoided.

In doing that you are of course connecting the two outputs to each other, as well as to the desired input.  And if only one of the two source components is turned on at any given time you are loading the output that is being used with whatever output impedance the other component presents when it is turned off.  Depending on the specific design that could be just about anything. 

In some cases the unpowered component may have a muting relay at its output, which would put a direct short on the signal being provided by the other component, resulting in no sound.  In other cases the output impedance of the unpowered component may vary with the level of the signal being provided by the component that is being used, resulting in poor sonics at best.  And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may be a few cases in which damage could occur, eventually if not sooner, as a result of a short or near-short being applied to a powered up output.

The suggestion by Donvito is a good one.  Another possibility would be a line-level switchbox.  I have used the DB Systems DBP-2JAU/5 ($110) with good results.  See the "photo" and "review" links for the DBP-2J/5 near the top of the following page (that model is the same as the DBP-2JAU/5 except its connectors are not gold plated).  I've also provided a link to their home page, at which you can find contact information:

https://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/access.html

https://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/

Also, at a considerably higher price point Decware makes a nice switchbox:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html

Regards,
-- Al