How often do you have to service your Studer or Otari deck ? Home not pro environment.

I guess, there are still places where you can be confident that they know what they do.
inna
bdp24, audiophile endeavor makes no economic sense whatsoever. People wear out $10k cartridges and $500 NOS tubes.
There is another advantage, and it is a big one , to using open reel deck instead of turntable - you don't need active preamp, you run it directly to power amp. You record directly from phono and lose almost nothing. And of course you can run phono thru deck and listen to records using deck's preamp. With phono, I believe, you always need active preamp, you don't get full sound from vinyl without it.

No @inna, I meant it is economically unwise to buy a Revox (and I'm assuming a Studer) that is in need of restoration rather than one that needs none. A good working condition example can probably be acquired for less than the price of a not-so-hot one with the cost to restore it added.

To your new point directly above, if the sound of your tape recorders electronics (used as a pre-amp) is better than your active pre-amp, it is time for a better active pre-amp! There is also the matter of the recorders output impedance (at all frequencies) and voltage, etc., very important in regard to driving the power amp.

bdp24, I see, I misunderstood you. No, no intention to buy junk and make it perfect.
Those decks’ preamp section is quite good but of course this step can be improved considerably. However, I would very rarely if ever play vinyl except when making a recording, so this is non-issue.
Potential problem might arise when recording. I remember a thread where Ralph of Atma-Sphere said that there might not be enough gain from the phono to record directly and that one might need an active preamp between phono and deck. Pro decks were not quite meant for recording off vinyl unlike consumer decks. Impedance mismatch can also be an issue making it even worse. Well then, if needed I would have to get an active preamp. Tape projects are expensive and that’s the only reason why I postponed it.
He himself plays Studer directly to his power amps, here he did not anticipate any complications with either Studer or Otari.
Often I don’t listen to entire record or even one side and compilations make perfect sense to me. Downside is that when you upgrade your analog front end or even a cable you have to record again to have the best sound. No problem, I can do it every five years or so.
A few days ago I was offered a perfect example of Studer A810 by an esteemed audiophile. I didn’t even ask about the price, can’t do it now. 

I just gave away a 4 channel Otari deck because it wasn't half track, and it was too complicated, but the way it handled tape was fantastic.

Today, I received RMG/EMTEC Studio Mastering Tape 900 Series for my Technics 1500, and I'm wondering how that tape compares to Maxell EE that is no longer available.

Although I have owned reels since the early 70's, at no time have I ever considered running one into my power amp directly; has anyone else done this?