How often do you have to service your Studer or Otari deck ? Home not pro environment.

I guess, there are still places where you can be confident that they know what they do.
inna

I just gave away a 4 channel Otari deck because it wasn't half track, and it was too complicated, but the way it handled tape was fantastic.

Today, I received RMG/EMTEC Studio Mastering Tape 900 Series for my Technics 1500, and I'm wondering how that tape compares to Maxell EE that is no longer available.

Although I have owned reels since the early 70's, at no time have I ever considered running one into my power amp directly; has anyone else done this?

I have 5 studio machines at home, all 2 track - Studer A820 1/2 inch - rest 1/4 inch Studer A807/II, Otari MTR12, & 2 x Sony APR 5000 series machines.

The A820 is just coming back from a repair - blown caps on the AC suppression and motor supply boards - repaired by Simon Griffett at Audio Related in Chesham, Bucks, UK. Simon looks after R2R machines and mixing desks at AIR and EMI studios in London.

One of my Sony APR 5000 machines was refurbed 5 years ago by a good friend, Stewart Emmings, who sadly passed away 2 years ago from bowel cancer at 49. This APR 5002 was a bit knackered and needed heads relapping, motor lube and various other bits to get it back to full working order.

Otherwise, I haven’t had to do any maintenance, other than regular cleaning of the tape path and the occasional demag.

BUT, what I do perform with EVERY tape replay or record is line up the machine properly, to check azimuth, levels (and bias if recording). All my music tapes have line up tones, so the azimuth and level checks are easily done with a set of PPM meters and a scope (if needed).

Charlie

@inna
I have a Revox B-77 in a travel case that's looking for a home. It needs transport service (motors cleaned and lubricated) and worked last I plugged it in a few years ago. If you can find someone to service it out for you, its free for the shipping. Revox (Studer) service is expensive but at least you wouldn't have the upfront cost. Heads are 1/2 track and appear in good condition.
Ralph, thank you, but I think I'll go with Studer A810 or A807 or Otari when the time is right. 
Do Studers actually record and sound better than Otari 5050 ? Otari also usually have quarter track reproduction head, this may or may not be helpful in my case but wouldn't hurt.
Topoxforddoc, five open reel machines ?  Studer A820 1/2" must be absolutely incredible.
well like anything audiophile, easy to go off the deep end...start w B77 bone stock but running well, aligned and setup for the tape you plan to run..

after a bit you can bypass the decks alectronics with preamps but again that is the depper end...

get an Opus 3 master copy duplicate and go from there.....

have fun !!!!!