How often do you have to service your Studer or Otari deck ? Home not pro environment.

I guess, there are still places where you can be confident that they know what they do.
inna
Ralph, thank you, but I think I'll go with Studer A810 or A807 or Otari when the time is right. 
Do Studers actually record and sound better than Otari 5050 ? Otari also usually have quarter track reproduction head, this may or may not be helpful in my case but wouldn't hurt.
Topoxforddoc, five open reel machines ?  Studer A820 1/2" must be absolutely incredible.
well like anything audiophile, easy to go off the deep end...start w B77 bone stock but running well, aligned and setup for the tape you plan to run..

after a bit you can bypass the decks alectronics with preamps but again that is the depper end...

get an Opus 3 master copy duplicate and go from there.....

have fun !!!!!
get an Opus 3 master copy duplicate and go from there....

are you serious man ....... $500, $600, $700 for an album ?

Sheesh !

http://audiophile.elusivedisc.com/search?p=Q&srid=S1-3SEAP&lbc=elusivedisc&ts=custom&...

Everyone I know (not in any Music/Audio Business) - Non Pro - that got into 15 IPS tape, also acquired the necessary hunting skills for those underground individuals who somehow acquired tapes from studios. The going rate $200 - 250. Includes two tapes ($100) And this not for obscure music that you will probably listen to 3 - 4 times, before bored.

People want to hear the music of their youth. Music is about staying young. Its available for those that search.

The first time I heard a master tape dub in my room of popular music it was a "damn" moment. You know what I mean?

When the music is over you proclaim...Damn !!

You’re hooked. The bar is set. You don’t know until you do this in your own room.

This is IMO, when the goals and objectives for each of us, who are not in the audio business, get set.

1) Some look for more tapes.
2) Some just want to use the machine to tape their records.
3)But then for some, like myself, my goal was to get my main vinyl rig sounding as close to, even, or better in my room, with the Barber, Davis, Basie, Beatles, etc... master tape dubs I have bought, and use as a reference.

Well it took a few years years but I got there. In those deep years. I ran both at the same time, with one at a 10 second delay, and switched between them to hear the differences. Oh yeah, you do need a preamp that has "on the fly" Gain. For someone that plays high and low level music sources in the same room, I would not own a preamp without this feature.

I do put on the tapes still, to exercise the machine and tapes, and to check the reference. Also some tapes I have no records for.

Inna
I don’t know if the Studer sounds better than other machines, because I have not heard other machines in my room. I do know from my tech that the Studer "caresses" - the Tape.
The recorded tape is the most valuable part; especially if someone is putting out $500 + for two tapes

8^0.

You confirm what I thought, about Studer., but no-one says that Otari is no good and not worth considering.
This is one audiophile piece that I would want to keep for a very long time, maybe even never upgrade. And it would be my main source, so a little of financial flexibility would be in order. Still, might be unable to afford Studer, depends on how long to wait.
Hunting for master tape dubs. Yeah, you need reliable sources, besides funds.