How often do you have to service your Studer or Otari deck ? Home not pro environment.

I guess, there are still places where you can be confident that they know what they do.
inna
You confirm what I thought, about Studer., but no-one says that Otari is no good and not worth considering.
This is one audiophile piece that I would want to keep for a very long time, maybe even never upgrade. And it would be my main source, so a little of financial flexibility would be in order. Still, might be unable to afford Studer, depends on how long to wait.
Hunting for master tape dubs. Yeah, you need reliable sources, besides funds.
Yes, the 1/2 inch Studer A820 sounds fantastic. The "sleeper" is the Sony APR5003.

Without a doubt, the high end Studers (A820, A812, A810 and A80) had the very best transports with servo controlled precision guidance. Also up with the Studers are the Telefunken M15, M20 and M21.Remember that the tape transport is THE most important bit to get right. No amount of fiddling with special tube pre-amps or electronics can rectify a signal, which has poor time stability.

Other machines use forced guidance for the tape path, which is not as good for providing the highest quality constant tape velocity over the head.

But out of the forced guidance machines, the Sony does an excellent job. Lovely transports, fabulous library wind (very kind to tape with a nice even pack), great sound quality and software driven calibration.
Yes, I know that regarding the paramount importance of the transport. Damn, I guess I don't want anything but those Studers . Telefunken would be hard to service, I think, unless I am ready to ship it to Germany. You didn't mention Studer A807, last model, I think. It is not as good as A810, I understand, but more affordable. Not sure about parts availability and servicing it, though.
 @ct0517  I think I gave pretty good advice IF he wants a legal tape that the artist will benefit from. Expensive yes, but getting a reference grade tape to improve his system does not have to be anywhere near the $700 you mention.

not saying I am a saint but I would also pass on a nice vintage Les Paul, IF I was pretty certain it was hot...

there is of course wild and extensive networks that trade in such tapes...etc.

also, tape while good should just be part of improving your system, digital done right, really good microphones into just the best preamps, no mixer, will help you in some areas exceed just using tape as a reference... also thise sources can be judged against and in combination with direct to disc...

my next step, IF I take it may be the path Ralph went down....buy a lathe....

have fun inna....there is a bit ( or more ) Pirate in all of us...

Jim

I guess I should disclose a patronage relationship with recording artists / producers / studios.....oh and I guess even an “ entertainment lawyer filmaker, storyteller / raconteur......

but I am also a consumer.....