How often do you have to service your Studer or Otari deck ? Home not pro environment.

I guess, there are still places where you can be confident that they know what they do.
inna
 @ct0517  I think I gave pretty good advice IF he wants a legal tape that the artist will benefit from. Expensive yes, but getting a reference grade tape to improve his system does not have to be anywhere near the $700 you mention.

not saying I am a saint but I would also pass on a nice vintage Les Paul, IF I was pretty certain it was hot...

there is of course wild and extensive networks that trade in such tapes...etc.

also, tape while good should just be part of improving your system, digital done right, really good microphones into just the best preamps, no mixer, will help you in some areas exceed just using tape as a reference... also thise sources can be judged against and in combination with direct to disc...

my next step, IF I take it may be the path Ralph went down....buy a lathe....

have fun inna....there is a bit ( or more ) Pirate in all of us...

Jim

I guess I should disclose a patronage relationship with recording artists / producers / studios.....oh and I guess even an “ entertainment lawyer filmaker, storyteller / raconteur......

but I am also a consumer.....
Most musicians whose performances I would be interested in to have on tape are dead, beginning with Miles Davis. I am almost certain that he wouldn't mind me getting the tapes from wherever they might be, free or not - no difference.
Many concerts were recorded and never released and perhaps never will. Tapes sit in storage and do nothing instead of playing on my Studer. Senseless and unfair. We'll correct that, at least we'll give it a try.
ya Miles was famous for working for free....

please ignore anything I might post in the future....

a good night to you
I will pay him personally if he asks me to, in time, but until then I got other things to do.