Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
I have been singularly unimpressed by classD amplification, whether $30 t-amp or $1000 Rotel. They both sound the same, except Rotel has more watts (it's ICE implementation).

with classD, I say, don't spend money on fancy implementation. It all sounds classD.
Ctaudio15, I would think for $5-800 you could easily find a Dyna ST 70 and upgrade it (cleaning connectors, controls, and switch, and replacing caps and weak tubes), or one already upgraded. If you check with 213Cobra he will agree with the musicality of an EL-34 amp.

Unfortunately I have very limited experience with Zu speakers but I built an original ST 70 and have owned a few more in the decades since then. They may not be the last word in detail or woofer control but they are unfailingly musical (when operating correctly) and remain affordable.
Great, thank you, I noticed the Zu blog thought they were the best value as well. ill check them out.
>>is there an amp i can find here in the $500-$800 range that can power my Soul's? i agree that my cambridge 540 and HK 3490 are lacking in the lower midrange/bass arena.<<

Make the best deal you can on an NAD integrated amp in that price range. You'll also find some pretty good sounding Chinese EL34 tube amps under a variety of obscure brand names on eBay that will do fine. You can buy an EL34 amp with your eyes closed and not fear. It's very hard to screw up an EL34 tube amp, and many of those unknown (to us in the West) Chinese tube amp designers know exactly what they're doing with simple circuits and good parts.

Phil
>>If you check with 213Cobra he will agree with the musicality of an EL-34 amp.<<

Yup. No doubt. Takes me back. I ran a pair of Dyna Stereo 70s strapped as ~70w monoblocks 35 years ago, when you could still buy Stereo 70 kits new and real West German Telefunkens and Siemens EL34s were plentiful. I built many for friends. Today, there are inexpensive upgrades, in parts or even replacement of the input circuit. But even stock, a well-maintained Stereo 70 will be euphonic in beautiful ways, and have a lot less push-pull grunge than most modern push-pull tube amps. As I just wrote in another post, almost any EL34 tube amp is a safe bet for good sound, and Zu's efficiency means a single stereo amp pushing out 30 - 35w/ch goes far. Most days on Audiogon there are a couple of rehabbed, modded or hot-rodded Stereo 70s. Other great, but more expensive, vintage iron: McIntosh MC2225, MC240, MC30 & 60 monoblocks. No cheap Marantz 8Bs left, but that would sound gorgeous. Lots of Chinese El34 and EL84 amp options.

In vintage solid state, you'd get music from Quad 405, 405-II and even a 303, which are around for mad money these days. Sweet into 16 ohms.

Phil