Changed Speaker Placement NOW BOOMY

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem. We bought new furniture for the living room where the stereo is and after replacing a couch, adding a chair and moving the speakers and audio rack down about 2 feet towards the corner and the speakers which where about 3 feet off the wall before are now about 14" off the wall.

I now have this unnatural sub boom and since I am using thiel 1.6 which have very little if any sub freq I can only assume its the room.

I understand that moving stuff around can do this, but its such a big change and I really dont have much room to play with.

Are there any cheap cheap cheap ways of fixing boom bass in a room.

The room is 12' X 26' with 9' ceilings.

If you look at my system pix the stereo is sorta in the same place with minor adjustments.

Any help would be super awesome.
128x128thegoldenear
Hi again, after reading your last post I'm wondering if your new leather chair might be the culprit? The leather is pulled tight like a drum head and will vibrate to the music and act like passive radiator sending bass notes back at your speakers and causing boom! Try removing the chair from the listening room and see what happens, if the bass gets smoother then let your wife pick out a new chair covered with cloth. Tish
Racamuti LOL funny you mentioned that woke up at 10 to 3 in the am ran down and checked that. Its good :)
If you use test tones, you might discover a couple of troublesome frequencies due to room resonance.

I fixed the problem in my room by moving them to 1/4 L from each wall. In your room, that would mean dragging them out to... yep... 3' from the wall, where they sat back when you liked them better. :)

The 26' resonance is probably not going to give you so much trouble (it's in the low 40s). The other one is around 90 hz, and you will definitely notice it.

By placing them 3' from the wall, you will be driving the resonant frequency at a phase difference of 1/2 pi from the speaker wrt the wall, and they'll cancel out quite a bit. Boom goes way, way down.

Try it with test tones, set around 94 hz and listen for the difference. The spot where you listen will affect matters as well, but no matter where you listen, you should still hear a significant decrease in the boom at that frequency as you place the speakers 3' away from the wall (wrt the orientation along the 12' wall).
Hello Golden Ear,
I would try a couple of things, I still believe that it is most likely the room. 1st, take Tish's advice and check to see if you have your positive and negatives reversed. I'm sure that you don't have 1 reversed because you are pulling a center image. These are probably ok, Next, Someone up the chain recommended that you put a pillow in a corner. Take the corner that you have moved your system toward and stack pillows as high as you can. If this removes you bass issue, let me know and I will help you tailor an inexpensive bass trap. How far are you from the nearest side wall and are your speakers towed and are you useing the golden triangle rule? These all matter.