Problem with my Sony SCD-777ES

My Sony has developed a problem. It generally refuses to play SACDs, and when it will play them, it does so with a very audible mechanical clicking sound. A bit temperamental with redbook CDs as well.

Here in the SF Bay Area, Sony no longer has a repair depot that accepts customer drop-offs. I would need to ship the unit to them, which I would prefer to avoid if possible. To get counter service, I need to go to a Sony authorized service provider, but I wonder if any of these shops really know what they are doing with a unit like the 777.

Any thoughts?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Olesno, this sounds very similiar to my problem. It was not the spindle motor but rather the transport motor on my machine. The early Sony SACD spindle motors had problems I was told, but mine was the other.
Drubin, I agree, if your still under warrenty just send it in. When I sent my player in I went to an Audio store "Audio King" who has a 30 day return poilocy and they suggested I try a player and bring it back before 30 days. Very cool! I tried the 9000... not impressed.
Rcprince, thank-you.
Jadem6, how nice to have you back! All these reports give me the jitters and I keep on touching wood. So far the thing is working and slowly breaking in. The Audience mod is truly amazing.
Thanks Detlof, it's great to feel so welcome. Yes it does give a scare but I figure I have over 4000 hours on my machine (givin burn in and play time) so I'm not complaining. The sound quality is so good that for me it's worth the problem I had. I sould say that is the only problem I've had, knocking on wood, and this player has been more reliable than any I've owned in the past. I was happy to see you got the Audience Mod too. Amazing is only the half of it!
Got the unit back yesterday, less than 4 weeks after I shipped it off. Not too bad. Paperwork is skimpy, but indicates they replaced a motor. Seems to be working just fine. No charge, of course.

Interestingly, I shipped it to Sony in Fremont, California. It was returned (UPS overnight) from Sony in Westwood, Mass. Like that garment bag of mine that once went from San Francisco to London by way of Bangkok.