Comparing Wadia vs. Meitner

I believe that this represents the pinnacle of CD playback. Jerry, a fellow audiogoner was gracious enough to allow me to audition his broken-in Meitner CDSD / DCC2. In my system, the boxes were switched with mine, so they each had the same cables, power conditioning, power cords, and stand. Both were run directly into the amp without a preamp. My CD playback system includes the Wadia 27ix / 270se with the latest software and full modifications from Great Northern Sound. Also included are Elrod Statement power cords, a Hydra conditioner, and a Mana rack.

In short, I think that these are both excellent units. They are also very different in what they do. In my system, it was easy to distinguish between the two within several minutes. It probably comes down to personal preference in deciding which is best here. I’ll just simply say that I’m keeping the Wadia because I think it is a perfect match for my musical preferences, my system, and what I appreciate in music.

What I love about the Wadia is its ability to convey an (absolutely) astonishing amount of detail without being harsh or fatiguing. Not only is the melody and rhythm imaged with speed and coherence, but you can actually appreciate the musicians technique, the weight and color of the instrument(s), and the ambience of the recording venue. It simply presents a convincing image of a live event. The emotional quality is all there. You can understand what separates a great and (justly) famous professional musician from a pretty good one. Everything is properly proportioned, the soundstage is appropriate and believable, everything is audible, and the background is silent. From complex orchestral pieces and opera, to vocals, to solo instruments, I do not believe there are any weak spots. Again, it simply convinces and fools the mind into believing that you are sitting in front of the performance. I have frequented the concert halls, and I’d hate to say it but sometimes the recording is better.

I think that just about anybody could probably be happy with either of these 2 systems. Of course, curiosity makes us wonder if the grass is greener. I am just very content with where I am right now. I'd invite Jerry to make some comments when he gets a chance.

Rob
rtn1
I'm with Sutts and Jond:
What are the comparatives or say relative differences *between* the two units as posted in the original thread ?
Just curious 2.
Frank G, thanks, that is exactly right, I was simply relaying the initial impression of someone in the room.

Tim (Tireguy) for such a young buck you sure have perspective. I agree with you, I should have learned my lesson long ago. I simply won't waste any more of my time trying to respond with honest OPINIONS stated as such on this forum any longer when I have great music to listen as a much more valuable way to spend my limited spare time! Jackie Allen and Stravinsy beckon!!!

Adios and Enjoy gentlemen!
Tireguy (Tim) Please keep on posting, I learned a lot
from you, If they jump on you ,ignore them. I stop
posting also because of the same reason.Now Iam back.
Tireguy:

Agree with you 100% - well almost ;-) These firefights serve no purpose in terms of enlightenment, and in truth, both the Wadia and Emms gear are exceptional. After that, to each his own. Having said that, I've done the Emms Labs/Wadia shootout and came down firmly on the side of Wadia - but hey, my ears, my system, my music, right?

A couple of things that should be noted about the Wadia: The 861 does not strike me as quite the transport that the 270 is, and Wadia equipment is not necessarily the best playmate for other DACs. Something to keep in mind - perhaps a more fair test would be a complete shootout which would switch both transports in and out of setups with both the DAC6, and the 27ix. That might give a better perspective....

In any case people, Tim is right on the nose; enjoy your tunes on your gear, and respect others' right to do the same. Y'all should feel fortunate that you are able to possess and appreciate this level of equipment.

Off to listen to some Shostakovich...
I wrote my last post right before tireguys. As a postscript I'd like to tell you what Frank P also said in our phone conversation about the several players that were compaired. He said "I wouldn't have believed it but guess which player was the closest to the EMM? It was a modded SONY SCD 1". I believe Frank left that out of this thread on purpose so as not to offend any Wadia owners.
Also it should be noted that we're not comparing apples to apples. (modded to factory stock) I've heard that Richard Kern already has low cost mods the the EMM transport that is supposed to improve it. (Here in Palm Springs it's 108 degrees and I can already feel the heat from the nuclear explosion that just went off in Portland). I heard that second hand so don't hold me to it.
Rx8man, I believe Frank P already addressed your question with the comments that caused all this controversy.