Front port vs Rear port

Hello all,
Trying to decide on the final pieces for my set up. I know I did it backwards but some deals came up before I could decide on speakers.
I am down to a few choices for my speakers, but I do have one nagging question. The room that everything is being set up in is only 12' X 16' so speaker placement will probably be a big issue. My question is....will a front ported set of speakers allow me to place them closer to the back wall? I know some adjustments will be necessary and it will depend on the speaker characteristics. But in general will front ports make better sense?
Thank You!
mtpockets1311
Yes, front porting gives you more flexibility in placement. Although some rear ported speakers can work OK close to a wall (ie, Linn Katan). If you are thinking of a stand mounted monitor that doesn't try to go too deep, rear porting is less of an issue. If floor standing, rear porting is pretty much required to be well away from rear walls.

Still, listen to lots of speakers. A few inches back and forth can make a lot of difference.
The reasons given are correct, but one reason that ports are put on the rear of speakers is that, at high levels, port turbulance can be audible and having the sound exiting the back of the speaker can be better than having it aiming right at you.
Viridian that is one reason the other reason is for room coupling, giving you a better bass performance vs front ports..

Regards,
A fair number of speakers are designed to be "near wall" compatible. The VSA VR-33 is a recent example. Front and rear (and bottom, I think) can be made to work. You might try searching here for "near wall," and also companies like North Creek and Guru who make speakers specifically designed for this application.

Personally, I'd find the moving speakers out for critical listening a PITA -- much of my listening is background punctuated by occasional "stop and listen" breaks. But as Schipio says, it's a way to go, if a "free field" speaker is best for you in other respects. You have to be OK with some tape on the floor, though; Meiwan is right that placement is a game of inches.

John