Modified Jolida JD100A or Cary Cd308T

I realize the price difference. Is the Cary worth the extra money for HDCD decoding and remote volume control?
yonojo
The Jolida is superb assuming HDCD is not your priority. It provides that "reach out and touch me" presentation of the best playback systems. The comprimises are a slightly soft bass (but eminently musical) and perhaps not the most extended in the upper registers. The attack and warmth in the midrange will leave you breathless. It is a first rate machine at a very reasonable price. By all means try to listen to one.
I have not had the issues re: bass and upper registers as Nealhood. I note my JD-100 has the following after market mods (I bought my unit stock with Sovtek 12AX7s): 1) a cryoed Chris VenHaus Flavor 1 PC, which brings in both the bass and upper registers; 2) Sylvania Gold Label JHS 5751WA triple mica blackplates, which make this CPD, in my system, scary good for the $; 3) a 22 lb. granite slab supported by Vibrapods, the Jolida sits on top of the granite, which helps reduce any vibrations to the unit; 4) a 12 lb. piece of marble on the top (resting on coasters), for even more vibration reduction; and 5) Herbie's Hal-O 9 tube dampers in place of the stock tube covers. Please remember this is what works in my system, with my components. Results with your components may vary.

Best of luck in your choices. I second the motion to listen to both units, if you can. I also note I was happy to use the $$ I had left over from the JD-100 purchase on other audio equipment, including purchase of the Sylvania tubes!
I forgot to mention I use Walker SST on the Jolida's tube pins, RCA jacks, ICs, PC cord prongs, IEC prongs, and other system components. Treatment totally made my unit come alive. I found the SST's $70/jar price well worth the cost.