Modified Jolida JD100A or Cary Cd308T

I realize the price difference. Is the Cary worth the extra money for HDCD decoding and remote volume control?
yonojo
I haven't heard the Jolida, but I do have the Cary 308-T and its a wonderful CD player. I was pretty much all set to buy a Jolida and had saved a bit more than I needed. But I decided that I really did want HDCD. So I researched the Cary and WOW great reviews, terrific specs, and wonderful features.

I saved a bit more, and bought a 308-T on A'gon about a month ago.

I couldn't be happier with the sound, the build quality and the features. It's a great CD Player.

Paul Green
Arthur, I found something a little odd. My info from about a year ago specifies a Philips UDA1351 DAC, but.... according to the latest data from Jolida it is now a Burr-Brown PCM1706. Go figure. I'll be opening mine next week (tube roll) so I'll take a look.

The 1716 is 28 pin and the 1704 is 20, so I'd figure no swapping without adding a socket or board modifications.

I digress, my opinion is the associated electronics play a bigger role than the DAC itself. Subjectively speaking of course. I find the Jolida, especially with tube tweaking, to be an excellent performer considering its price. I havent had the 308T in my system but I bet its no slouch. Cary makes fine products.
I agree, I have the Jolida as well and that's how I knew the DAC was the BB, I've had it open. Drop me a note on what tubes you're trying and how they change the presentation, I was thinking of doing some rolling soon myself. Thanks
TI was kind enough to supply a data sheet. The 1706 is actually part number DF1706, which is a filter, not a D/A Converter at all. So my previous post about the current Jolida DAC is obviously in error. I am yet to discover which DAC is actually in this unit. It could very well be the 1716.

The PCM1716 is indeed a DAC as is the PCM1704 but they do have different pin arrangments. TI's data page

Both these unit have the same transport, the hugely popular, Philips CDM12.