Why the obsession with the lowest octave

From what is written in these forums and elsewhere see the following for instance.

Scroll down to the chart showing the even lowest instruments in this example recording rolling off very steeply at 40 Hz.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=154

It would appear that there is really very little to be heard between 20 and 40 Hz. Yet having true "full range" speakers is often the test of a great speaker. Does anyone beside me think that there is little to be gained by stretching the speakers bass performance below 30-40 cycles?
My own speakers make no apologies for going down to only 28 Hz and they are big floor standers JM Lab Electra 936s.
mechans
My speakers go below zero down to -10Hz thanks to the quad of 36" woooooooofers.

The bass is so low that you can't hear or feel it.

But I know it's there because the Stereophile measurements don't lie.
Even though my speakers are said to go to 30hz, I have often wondered whether cutting them off a little higher and blending in a pair of quality subs would result in not only deeper bass but better defined bass. OTOH, some say it is exceptionally difficult to accurately blend subs and maintain coherent phase. Yes, I like well defined, textured, deep, punchy bass, but can live with slightly rolled highs, as long as they are smooth, brassy when necessary, but never tizzy, grainy or shrill.
My Focal 836v speakers are rated for 40Hz to 28kHz +/- 3dB with the low frequency cut off at 33Hz. I have a test tone CD and verified that they would produce an audible tone at 28Hz with my Integra receiver, but would only do 30Hz with my Onkyo. Having them up against the wall provides bass supported (some might call it bloated), but it works for me the majority of the time. The subwoofer stays off for most critical listening.
Sit mid hall or balcony and you won't experience the visceral impact of low bass.

Sit up front, and you'll have a different experience.

It depends on one's experiences and preference.

I like the visceral impact of low bass: that can't be heard but can be experienced nonetheless. Low bass makes music more than an aural event.

It's part of feeling alive.
Tvad nailed it like he often does.
If its meant to be there and the folks who composed or wrote the music went to the trouble of putting it there why not strive to hear their efforts?
Doesnt seem weird or silly to want an honest and full scale reproduction of it to me.
Hearing that air, extension or feeling that impact is a big part of the wow factor, clipping off the bottom end just IMO goes against what we stand for, honest reproduction.......if it aint there then how honest is it?
Whats next, dating women with no nipples? :)