Want to experience tubed CDP?

I am curious to hear a tubed CDP in my system, and would like to pay the entry price of an Ah! or Jolida to demo one in my system. I just wonder if either of those will equally perform at the level of my Cairn, or should I be looking at an Audio Aero or Cary model?

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
jh2os
Hello,

I would look into the Lector CDP-5T. It cost about the same as your Cairn and it sounds wonderful. I lived with it for about 3 months waiting for my CDP-7T to arrive. The 7T is a better player but it also retails for $4000.00. At your price range, for a tube CDP, the 5T is a great bet. Good luck in your search.......John
If you're going to spend Audio Aero or Cary $$, consider the BAT VK-D5SE. You won't regret it.
The AH! SuperTjoeb 4000 will best your Cairn. Make sure to upgrade from the stock tubes -- my personal favorite is the Ediswan.
Jay
I have been living with the Audio Aero for about two months out of all players I have listened to (Rega Planet, Linn Genki, Unison Unico CD), it is the most involving and musical one. I have owned the Planet for seven years, Genki for 4 months and the Unico for two months. None of these players comes as close to portraing a real piano as well the Audio Aero Prima. The Prima is more detailed and musical than the Unico (which according to Chris at partsconnexion betters the Jolida, sorry no personal experience) and more liquid and involving than the Genki. It has a more tuneful bass than any of the other players.

After searching for a long time to find an upgrade to my seven year old planet, this is as musical as the planet, but does not sacrifice any of the details. It is also the first player that my wife likes more than the Planet.

Of course, either of these players looks very interesting and I did not have a chance to listen to the Jolida, Cary, Lector, or BAT. Maybe at HE in New York?

Good luck.

Rene
Thanks for your comments!

Jburidan, have you compared the Cairn and Ah! side-by-side? I would love to hear what the Ah! brings to the table over the Cairn. If you could email me or post more information on your comparision it would be greatly insightful to me. Thanks!

Rene, thanks for your thoughts on the Prima. I am hoping to attend HE in NYC, if only for a day. I might have to try to stop by and listen to all these players. I have found, the only way to really know, is to bring it home and slap it in your system for a month though, but at least I could get some preliminary thoughts at HE?