Endless debate: monitor + sub vs floorstanding

Have made a simple system with Peachtree Inova and Proac Sig 8 Tablettes on sand filled stands. Lovely sound I am quite pleased with though I'm considering either supplementing my beloved Tablettes with a sub bass (most likely the new Rel T5) OR grabbing a pair of full range floorstanders (likely used Proac as well).

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the two setups in terms of expression, detail, dynamic spectrum, musicality and also flexibility? Intuitively, it seems I may have more opportunities to play with and fine-tune the experience using Tabletttes plus sub.

I realize there is probably no perfect answer here. Unfortunately, my opportunities for a good side by side listening comparison of the two systems is pretty much nil.
marburg
A lot of good suggestions and thank you all.

The reason I went the floorstanding monitor route with a sub is I basically downsized my system somewhat. I figured using a nice tubed integrated (Rogue Tempest II) pushing the monitors only would free up the amp and let the sub take care of the bass duties. I have the sub crossed at a little below 50HZ and the monitors are full range down to around 42HZ I think it is. After a lot of tuning the sub or trying to integrate it, I know I am close but the bass is a little different than my previous full range floorstanders. In some ways its better because I am getting those bottom octaves :) The bass now is right in the center or centerstage. "Some music" might be overlapping a tad with the monitors. I am going to turn the volume down on the sub some more to hopefully cure the bass hump. A buddy of mine awhile back brought over a test CD and his IPhone had an app to measure frequency response. My bass response was pretty darn even so I know I am close. I am wondering if another sub would help? I do like the idea of my integrated pushing the monitors and letting subs take care of bass duties but not oppossed to an efficient full range floorstander.
I had a choice between the Coincident Pure Reference (floor standing)and their Extreme version which splits the speaker into a mini monitor and sub seperates.The drivers are identical.I was able to listen to both at the same time on amps identical to my own. The Extremes had ever so slightly better focus and a small improvement in the bass but honestly, the differences between the two were minor.

Regards
Not much to debate . Two way monitor , coherence . Floor standing , frequency extension . Lets not even talk about subs .
Me too. Where is yours located and what is x-over set at? Mine is on the left just behind the speakers and about 10" from the side wall and a little over a foot from the front wall. It fires inward. Crossed over around 48Hz.