Unimpressive sound from Tannoy B475 subwoofer?

I impulse bought two tannoy b475 18" pro subwoofers over the weekend for what seemed like a good price.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to manage to get decent sound out of them. Did I just make a mistake and buy subs that don't perform well, or is there possibly a problem with my setup?

They want 400w-800w. I've tried a crown 800 (bridged) and a jbl synthesis 400 (bridged) and neither made them sound all that hot. The sub signal is coming from a pioneer elite, which isn't the best setup, but seems to drive my mb quart vera sub fairly nicely. The tannoy sounds much worse.

One possible issue: the crown needs a + and - for input, but the sub output is RCA, so I cut the end off a RCA cable and got the +/- from that. Perhaps bad idea?
dddrrreee
Thanks for the operational breakdown. Unfortunately, I can't tell any difference between that method and connecting an extra ground wire to the case of the pre-amp or to the RCA shield. Which matches your "really doesn't matter" point...

I was going to try a Jensen since they are "only" around $100. From their web page it seems the JT-11-BMCF would be the best bet or is that complete overkill?

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/faqs.html#faq5

The subs are great and seriously tactile at high volume with bass heavy music; I'm just hoping for something more precise at lower volumes. One improvement was from adding a sound isolating pad to separate them from the house foundation (which had various resonances that I'm sure displeased the neighbors).

But, I'm getting the feeling I perhaps should have spent the extra money to pick up some velo 18s that were for sale locally from porchecab or held out for some triad platinums...
The transformer looks like the right one.
An SMS-1 could be picked up used for around 400.00. It would help greatly.
I see a ~$400 velodyne sms-1 on amazon -- is that what you were referring to? Or do you mean JBL sms-1?

The tannoy has a tx2 system controller that came with it. Am ordering connectors to see if that makes any difference.
Argh. Sorry, missed the velo reference above somehow. Got it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!