Unimpressive sound from Tannoy B475 subwoofer?

I impulse bought two tannoy b475 18" pro subwoofers over the weekend for what seemed like a good price.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to manage to get decent sound out of them. Did I just make a mistake and buy subs that don't perform well, or is there possibly a problem with my setup?

They want 400w-800w. I've tried a crown 800 (bridged) and a jbl synthesis 400 (bridged) and neither made them sound all that hot. The sub signal is coming from a pioneer elite, which isn't the best setup, but seems to drive my mb quart vera sub fairly nicely. The tannoy sounds much worse.

One possible issue: the crown needs a + and - for input, but the sub output is RCA, so I cut the end off a RCA cable and got the +/- from that. Perhaps bad idea?
dddrrreee
Thanks Rwwear! Looks like I just missed the listing.

Unrelated to the original topic: I wish the audiogon software would send an email notification for subscribed threads.
I picked up an outlaw 990 w/ balanced XLR outputs this w/e. After hooking this up to crown amp everything sounds much better!

It's dead quiet when no music is playing and seems noticeably louder when sound is on. (Or at least I had to turn the gain on the amp down 1/4 turn after hooking things up.)

Thanks for all the advice! Problem seems solved.

The only issue I have now is that the outlaw has one XLR out but I have two subs. I was going to use an XLR Y cable to split the signal. Is there a better approach?