I want to re-introduce this subject.

I couldn't find it, so I will re-introduce this subject. Why is cd so volume dependent? This doesn't necessarily have to do with cd, as I'm interested in volume in general. Basically, I was attacked(or directed to) in the area of my preamp-which could have an effect. I just think, especially after understanding that many times there are many mikes involved, that what I have to say has some validity-no matter what my preamp is. Some of the questions I have have has to do with remote volume controls. Are they as accurate as the normal potentiometers? I say this because I changed the volume for a Jim Carrol cd, and it took me over a week to dial in the correct volume for most cd's-which is different than my volume for lp play. Come-on guys, this is too much work! Any help here would be appreciated.
mmakshak
Not completely sure what you're after, but as far as changing volumes for CDs and LPs, keep in mind that (i) as between CDs, each CD is recorded at a particular level, some higher than others, that accounts for some of the differences you're hearing, and (ii) with regard to LPs, your CD player puts out a much stronger signal than does your cartridge and phono stage, in all likelihood, so you will need to adjust your volume controls when switching to an LP source. In my case, it's a huge difference, and I have to be careful that after listening to LPs for a session I return the volume level on my preamp from 12 o'clock down to 9 o'clok to avoid blowing out the windows in my living room if I play a CD.
I doubt you will ever achieve harmony using one set of controls as the above is correct that LPs signal is more often the weaker and yes, some CDs are louder than others. the above issues don't bother me as much as watching FOX and then a commercial comes on...

I have corrected this a bit with my McIntosh CR12 AV center. It has four preamps built into it and I can pre-adjust the volumn level to match the source. If I want higher volumn from a particular source I increase it at the source so that the CR12's settings remain constant for each source.

The issue with louder CDs is what it is. I can adjust that at my CD player(it has voulmn control) if it is too much of a nuisance.
If it took a week to dial in the volume it's probably because the CD disc wasn't broken in (or possibly it wasn't broken-in properly). Search the archives and you'll find volumes of info on the subject.
Better watch out, Onhwy61, your tongue might get permanently stuck in your cheek! :^)
Post removed