I want to re-introduce this subject.

I couldn't find it, so I will re-introduce this subject. Why is cd so volume dependent? This doesn't necessarily have to do with cd, as I'm interested in volume in general. Basically, I was attacked(or directed to) in the area of my preamp-which could have an effect. I just think, especially after understanding that many times there are many mikes involved, that what I have to say has some validity-no matter what my preamp is. Some of the questions I have have has to do with remote volume controls. Are they as accurate as the normal potentiometers? I say this because I changed the volume for a Jim Carrol cd, and it took me over a week to dial in the correct volume for most cd's-which is different than my volume for lp play. Come-on guys, this is too much work! Any help here would be appreciated.
mmakshak
I doubt you will ever achieve harmony using one set of controls as the above is correct that LPs signal is more often the weaker and yes, some CDs are louder than others. the above issues don't bother me as much as watching FOX and then a commercial comes on...

I have corrected this a bit with my McIntosh CR12 AV center. It has four preamps built into it and I can pre-adjust the volumn level to match the source. If I want higher volumn from a particular source I increase it at the source so that the CR12's settings remain constant for each source.

The issue with louder CDs is what it is. I can adjust that at my CD player(it has voulmn control) if it is too much of a nuisance.
If it took a week to dial in the volume it's probably because the CD disc wasn't broken in (or possibly it wasn't broken-in properly). Search the archives and you'll find volumes of info on the subject.
Better watch out, Onhwy61, your tongue might get permanently stuck in your cheek! :^)
Post removed 
Even within the same media, music is recorded at different volumes. I listen mostly to LP's and some were recorded at higher levels than others.

There is absolutly a difference between CD's & LP's with CD's being louder. I have not noticed as much a vairation in recording levels between different CD's. Then again I generally don't play them (CD's) back to back.