Audio Aero Capitole - 6021W subminiature tube ??

I would appreciate hearing from someone who can explain the performance of these tubes in the Capitole, including the typical life of the tubes, whether they are susceptible to becomming microphonic or noisy, and how to purchase or change them if necessary. I believe I read these are really small (like the diameter of a pencil) and that they are soldered onto the board. If that is true, is it then necessary to send the player back to the distributor or manufacturer if they need replaced, or are these readily available and set up for user installation? How many years is typical for the tubes to perform in the Capitole before replacement is necessary? Thanks.
mitch2
That is an interesting thought. Is it not normalized, especially that both Clayton and AA cap are products designed for US market. US How do I check that ?
How do I check that ?
If you have a multimeter, check for continuity between xlr pin 1 and the ground sleeve of an rca connector. Otherwise check with the manufacturers.

However, the most common inconsistency in xlr pinouts is that the signals on pins 2 and 3 are interchanged, which would not affect hiss levels. It would just invert polarity, sometimes referred to as "absolute phase," which would have minor or negligible effects on many or most recordings.

Also, check that continuity does NOT exist between pin 2 and ground, and between pin 3 and ground. A near zero resistance between one of those pins and ground would indicate that the unit does not drive the xlr connector with a differential pair of signals. I would be very surprised if that were the case, but if it were it would go a long way toward explaining the hiss.

Regards,
-- Al
I suspect that the polarity and pin set-up between the two is NOT the issue. Do a search on invert in the preamp/amp section and you will see from some pretty knowledgeable people (amp designers, etc. . .) that such an issue is not going to cause this problem.

I think you can immediately narrow down the problem to one of three causes:

1: the least likely cause is that you balanced cables are defective. Use, borrow or buy (even a cheap one at a local musical instrument store) and try the new one and see if the noise goes away.
2: there is an issue with the power amps' balanced input handling of that signal internally in the amp (this can easily be tested by an RCA to XLR plug, running the RCA from your Capitole to the balanced in of your amp to see if you are still getting the white noise).
3: there is an issue with the balanced outputs of the Capitole (you can determine this by buying or borrowing an adapter so you run the XLR balanced cable out from the Capitole into the single ended inputs on the amp and to see if you still have the white noise). I suspect this is going to be your problem. Why? Because the Capitole CD players are known for failing or breaking down. They are musically great sounding, but they are made in France!
I have done tests with multimeter, happens that I have Fluke, so I could get pretty exact measurements.

>check for continuity between xlr pin 1 and the ground sleeve of an rca connector

there is continuity 0.14ohm which is 0 for my Fluke.

AA Cap
RCA - 0,52 ohm
XLR - pin 1,2 0,45ohm
XLR - pin 1,3 0,57ohm
XLR - pin 2,3 0,83ohm

I was surprised how low output resistance of this CDP is.

Clayton
RCA - infinity
XLR - pin 1,2 0,85ohm
XLR - pin 1,3 infinity
XLR - pin 2,3 infinity

So it seems like Clayton is not a balanced amp, he is is the culprit, am I right ?
Wow! Those are indeed strange readings. Let me first verify a couple of things, which I hope you won't mind my asking:

1)Did you make these measurements with power off, which is how they should be measured? If power was on, voltages such as dc offset, ac leakage, etc., might have confused the meter.

2)When you say "0,45ohm," "0,57ohm," etc., am I correct in assuming that you mean "0.45 ohms," "0.57 ohms" etc? And are you sure that the scale the meter was set to was ohms, not Kohms?

Assuming those answers are "yes," I too am very surprised at the low readings on the cdp outputs. However, the 0.14 ohm reading from xlr pin 1 to ground appears to confirm that pin 1 is ground, as it should be.

Did you also measure from xlr pin 1 on the Clayton to its ground (the shell of an rca connector, or chassis)? Looking at your readings, I'm wondering if perhaps for some strange reason pin 3 is used as ground on its xlr connector, instead of pin 1.

Best regards,
-- Al