Ohm Acoustics Walsh F-5015 speakers

Hi everyone

I too received the msg stating that Ohm Acoustics in Brooklyn is having a Columbus Day sale. In the message there was a mention of the new Ohm F-5015 speakers. Upon reviewing the site there was no mention of the F-5015 speakers. I then saw in the forum a couple of members inquiring about these speakers in the main Ohm Walsh thread. I figured for these new speakers they deserved a thread of their own.

Well what do you think these F-5015 speakers are? My guess is that these are the latest generation of new drivers/speakers to replace the original large Ohm Walsh F drivers. I'm thinking these speakers will be enormous and sound awesome.

Any thoughts/comments are more than welcome? If you get in touch with John Strohbeen about the F-5015 speakers feel free to post your findings.

Thanks
128x128jedinite24
"I'll hazard a guess those fine Walsh drivers won't be appreciated too much longer."

The cabinets will likely get recycled with newer drivers for some future buyer looking to save some money compared to new cabinets. I am a fan of those older pyramid shaped cabinets myself.

Maybe if someone were interested and contacted John, he would sell the drivers sans warranty for a reasonable price if the condition and value can be established within reason.

i can't imagine a pair of OHM F drivers in good working condition not having some value, but I do not know what is required to establish level of functionality and value accordingly in that in that all are old and have had third party work done on them prior most likely if still in good general working order. It likely takes some special expertise just to appraise the operating condition and value properly I would think.
You guys have got me thinking if I should not after all keep my Fs.

Concerning the renovation of the fs, i use to make speakers and even sold a few so I know that even the smallest changes can modify the original sound of a speaker. The changes which were made are the following;

1) The foam inside the cone and the surround (suspension) of the cone has been replaced by the exact same foam by a technician who has been doing this for years.

2) the top is now bolted to the bottom with four bolts instead of only two

3) the amp is now connected directly into the cone instead of in the bottom connectors placed at the back it the cabinet, so the inside wiring is no longer used

4) the connectors on the cone have been changed for modern connectors (I've tried many while I was making speakers and I chose the most neutral ones IMO )

5) the quantity of the damping material has been slightly reduced after several hours of testing (two inches were taken at the top)

So you see I've kept the changes to a minimum. I know there is some guy who restored them by changing the cabinet completely (type of wood and thickness of the walls - the result is not an ohm f anymore since it is impossible that with such changes the speaker sound anything ode to the original Fs.
I forgot to mention one change;

The foam joint between top and the cabinet was changed
Correction: in the new Fs, my amps take care of frequencies above 80 Hz and the Ohm 500 w/c built in amp takes care of frequencies between 16 and 80 Hz.
Spacer,

If possible, I would love to see some photos of the 5015s, including cans, hoods, layout of controls, etc. Maybe a quick system post with some pics? Might be hard to photo the bottoms where the subs would be visible as I understand it, though.