Does coloring the edges of CD's help the sonics?

Hello,
I have read that coloring the edges of cd's with a black or green magic marker helps the sonics.
What is your opinion of this?
If it is true, how does it work?
Thanks.
daltonlanny
Shadorne, the new cleaners also make scratched discs more readable or at least less likely to cause the cd player to err or pop. I think the laser's rays merely reflect on the sensor with little diffraction elsewhere.

I still remember the demonstration with the red leds. The player just stopped.

Something has removed the modest benefits of painting the edges on discs, perhaps I err in attributing it to more transparent discs.
The blade on the disc trimmer should be positioned such that the entire edge of the disc is timmed at an angle, not just half the edge. What good would it do to trim half the edge, as the light would still be directed out the half that wasn't beveled? The other advantage of beveling the entire edge is that it makes the disc symmetrical, cutting back on wobbling during play.
Geoffkait, it has been a long time since I got the AudioDesk, but I think I aligned the blade as recommended, which was half way through.
Another problem with only trimming half the edge is the potential for the polycarbonate to shatter. But primary issue is that it wouldn't be effective.

YRMV...

Cheers
Geoffkait, again I found it effective until the new cleaners came out, I think I followed their instruction, and I never experienced any shattering. In fact I think there would be much more potential for shattering with the deeper cut you suggest.