What's the bottom line on Oppo 980 for CD playback

Ok, apparently no uni player excells at CD playback. I'd like to get something that isn't obsolete right out of the box. Can this thing really satisfy me as a CD player? What about these reports I have heard about it cutting off the first few seconds of every disc? Are you having this problem? Is anybody really using it for CD enough to care? For now, I don't care about SACD, Video, DVDA, Multi Channel, etc. I heard the Cary DVD 8 at over $1000. and was unimpressed, especially when compared to their $4000. CD player. Where should I turn? Cambridge 740? Music Hall 25? Any DVDers that are good with CD? Thanks for any info or input, Chris H.
hifiharv
No, it will not satisfy as a cdp if that is its only purpose for the same price as a cdp.
My new Oppo 980H with a Asylum/Crump cord and a few vibration minimizing tweaks has now supplanted my Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 with vintage 6DJ8 tubes, Isoclean fuse, Daruma ball bearing feet and a Venhaus Flavour 2 power cord. This was after many hours of comparison. Overall, the 980H lacks a bit of depth and midrange liquidity/smoothness but is a little more dynamic and detailed.

I have since sold my SFCD-1 and put the $900 net difference into more music to listen to.

My suggestion is to try it first before judging the new Oppo's redbook abilities. Your results may be different depending on the rest of your system.

The rest of my system is composed of:

Bryston B-60 and 2B-LP in biamped configuration powering Totem Arros and Dreamcatcher powered sub. Cables included Venhaus DIY cotton insulated 99.99% pure silver interconnects with Eichmann Silver Bullets and Sonocable silver speaker cables.
Oppo may be better than an aging tubed cdp, but it never was as good as any other decent cdp I compared it with. The most recent cdp I used was the Consonance 120 Linear cdp, that can be bought used for $550, and the comparison was not close as far as musicality, detail, and naturalness. The Oppo has uninvolving for redbook cd playback for me.
Does owning the 981 count for this discussion?
I use that NOW for video only...and the odd JPG picture disk.
I bought a Very decent RB player...the CA 840c for music only duties.....I will eventually want to try one of the CA's digital inputs to see how much that helps the OPPO.
The OPPO to an external DAC for music may be a Very Sweet spot cost/benefit wise, if not the Ultimate.
For people like me whose pockets are only so deep, this makes sense. I can only have 1 system....well, maybe a radio in the garage, but overall, 1 system for both music and HT.
Magfan,

Yes the Oppos are great for video and so-so for audio. Using a basic RG-6 video/digital cable from your 981s coax output to your 840s coax input will improve your 2 channel movie audio. You already know the 840 has a great DAC so you may as well use it for 2 channel movies.