What's the bottom line on Oppo 980 for CD playback

Ok, apparently no uni player excells at CD playback. I'd like to get something that isn't obsolete right out of the box. Can this thing really satisfy me as a CD player? What about these reports I have heard about it cutting off the first few seconds of every disc? Are you having this problem? Is anybody really using it for CD enough to care? For now, I don't care about SACD, Video, DVDA, Multi Channel, etc. I heard the Cary DVD 8 at over $1000. and was unimpressed, especially when compared to their $4000. CD player. Where should I turn? Cambridge 740? Music Hall 25? Any DVDers that are good with CD? Thanks for any info or input, Chris H.
hifiharv
I'm using the Oppo 980H as a transport for SACD, DVD-A and CD ATM. It works great as a transport. I'm not sure about analog output. I'm using it temporarily until the new Denon Universal player is available so I can use Denon Link in my setup.
Thanks for the encouragement! That is the plan....
1 channel of 840 input from the 981 and the other channel from my computer, playing FLAC files, which I spend an hour a day compiling....at least until I am done burning my CD collection and anything else I can beg / borrow.
Mjcmt,

I am curious as to what ancillary equipment were you using with the Oppo? As well, did you do a head to head comparison with these other cd players?

The Bryston preamp/amp and Arro combo in my system is very transparent, revealing and unforgiving of the source. I planned my system to be this way so that the front end sonics comes through relatively unscathed. As such, it gives me a pretty good window on the source's true sonics.
Ckung,
If you click on "system" you can see what equipment I use now and have in the past.

I use the Oppo as a transport and use a Benchmark DAC feeding a tube amp. The Benchmark is very revealing but not harsh. The tube amp is not soft and romantic and more SS sounding. I chose the Benchmark because of the volume control.

PS Audio DACs are smoother sounding and may compliment your Bryston amp better. This is only a guess as I never have used these products.

I went the DAC route as I want to get a BluRay player in the future and use it for movies and music. The DAC allows me to do this w/o compromising the sound.
I used to think my OPPO 980 was good. {It is wonderful for video}

I recently hooked up the Playstation 1 and now have a much more detailed player.

Very happy with the PS1. {1001 model}

db