My head hurts....

Looking to upgrade my digital and there are so many choices and possible alternatives that has my head spinning
Should I hold off and wait to see where digital is heading
I like my present universal player but alway's have an itch to see what else is out there

Opinions appreciated
musicfile

Musicfile... should I keep it or let it go... I totally understand... my dilemma too. The MacMini USB DAC combo just amazes me in so many ways.

:) listening,

Ed

Istanbulu care to share some details on your setup and what makes it special to you ..you can e mail me offline if you prefer

Oregon Vinyl is tops I agree but at this time i'm concentrating on shoring up my digital needs

It's all good for today my head feels better ...
Definitely try computer audio. If you want cheap and quick - try Slim Devices SqueezeBox Duet. If you want higher fidelity, try the Slim Devices Transporter. If you want better convenience (and no need for computer) try Sonos. If you want some of everything, investigate Apple TV and a DAC of your choice. If you want best fidelity get a computer and an asynchronous USB DAC such as Wavelength or Red Wine Audio or the ModWright Transporter.

Yes, these all get progressively more expensive and yes more, different and "better" are always right around the corner. Which is why the Duet is a good, inexpensive place to start.
Musicfile,
Glad to hear your head feels better.
I realize folks are going to servers for convenience. I'm certain sonics will improve in the long run.
Besides the excellent sound of the analog wave (natural, dynamic, bloom) changing a record after one side, deciding where to take the next step, i.e. Jazz, Rock, Bluegrass, vocal, Soul, Country Swing, Classical, gets one to focus on the music, the passion, the sound. This very aspect of focused listening is what makes a listening session so much fun among my audiophile group here in Portland, OR. Us audiofoos realize we need to limit how many records each of us bring to a session, otherwise we'd be up for days and nights. We're a bunch of vinyl snobs.
Servers are great for background music, nothing wrong with that. One of the foos is setting up a server system in his home.
Thanks for taking my point as it was meant- friendly and just having some fun.
Hope you have beautiful music, all day and everyday, in your home!