Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Good sound? Can you understand that you are referencing an opinion?
Good sound is a matter of opinion. Most people are quite happy with what they have.
I drive a Prius. I love it. To car people, it is a hideous, pretentious waste of plastic. They think cars have to provide an erotic experience. To me, they are just transportation and, as such, should cost me very little money, or none at all.
If you could get outside of your cripplingly narrow perspective, you would realize how nerdy and obsessive you sound. There is no good sound. If you like it, if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. Reviews don't count, peers don't exist and prices, specifications and model numbers are not important unless misfortune dictates that you shop for a replacement.

Surely, you are aware that speaker placement for most people is dictated by decorating preferences or available space. Sonics are usually not a consideration.
Macrojack, I think Mapman's post was sarcastic humor.

Could be wrong...but I don't think so.
Whoops, i forgot to sign the post as my sarcastic alter ego "MADman", not mapman.

I drive a 96 4runner.
Why can't we all just get along ? Perhaps more would love audio if it were more affordable ? Who is going to take this seriously if they find out that a set of speakers or a component can cost more than a house ? Get NAD and Cambridge and B&W and KEF into the big box stores, and there will be more audiophiles. If they hear it , -----.
In my experience, the majority of buyers in big box stores could be described as not particularly discriminating. They buy brand name or price, not performance.

You guys have to get beyond your narrow-minded insistence that sound matters to anybody but you. It does not. The general public has a quantitative mindset that does not take matters of quality by assessment into consideration. In seeking quality they are guided by brand names and ad campaigns. They buy what they hope will send the message that they are cool. This may sound very familiar to some of you.