Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Macrojack, I think Mapman's post was sarcastic humor.

Could be wrong...but I don't think so.
Whoops, i forgot to sign the post as my sarcastic alter ego "MADman", not mapman.

I drive a 96 4runner.
Why can't we all just get along ? Perhaps more would love audio if it were more affordable ? Who is going to take this seriously if they find out that a set of speakers or a component can cost more than a house ? Get NAD and Cambridge and B&W and KEF into the big box stores, and there will be more audiophiles. If they hear it , -----.
In my experience, the majority of buyers in big box stores could be described as not particularly discriminating. They buy brand name or price, not performance.

You guys have to get beyond your narrow-minded insistence that sound matters to anybody but you. It does not. The general public has a quantitative mindset that does not take matters of quality by assessment into consideration. In seeking quality they are guided by brand names and ad campaigns. They buy what they hope will send the message that they are cool. This may sound very familiar to some of you.
The problem may be that the Title of this thread, and its Description do not agree. . . . .

Lots of times friends will come over and bring (usually) a CD because "I wanted to hear this on your system", so they are maybe more discriminating than we assume. They just don't "Love Audio" enough of the time to "Love Owning an Audio System" ;--))