Benchmark DAC1 Pre vs. Bel Canto DAC3

Anyone compare these two DAC's? They both have volume adjustment and USB inputs and I was wondering how they compared sound-wise. The used Bel Canto seems to presently cost the same as a new DAC1 Pre. Thanks in advance.
imaginarynumbers
I'm mostly interested in analog inputs in the DAC's so I can have a passive preamp as an alternative to my tube preamp without spending more money. While I'm pretty happy with my Odyssey Candela tube pre, it doesn't sound quite as good for some genres such as classical. I actually found an explanation for how to add a digital out to a cd player: http://www.turboegt.com/Audio/Car%20Audio/Digital%20Outs/digital_outpu-f.htm although I'm not sure how reliable the instructions are because I have little technical knowledge..

As far as a music server goes, I only have one system so I just figured I'd connect my desktop to the DAC via USB. Is there a reason why I'd want a dedicated music server as opposed to a desktop?
The music server is a software program that can run in the background on a newer, faster desktop PC or laptop with sufficient disk storage as well. A beefier dedicated server computer is not necessarily required these days.

You can connect via USB or wireless LAN. USB requires close proximity for a physical wire connection. With LAN or wireless LAN, the music server device can be located anywhere in the house that the wireless router can reach.
Is there a specific program you can recommend for transmitting a digital file to the DAC while bypassing my sound card?

I use Windows Media Player as the Music Server program. I use loss less .wav file format files ripped to a 300Gb disk on the Toshiba laptop running Vista OS.

In my case, the laptop has a wireless (WiFI) connection to a Linksys wireless router running my wireless network. The Roku Soundbridge connects similarly to the WiFi network and the laptop music server. The digital outputs from the Roku feed my DAC.

So I do not use a physical USB connection, from laptop to DAC, but that should work as well using WMP as the server program, I believe.