Benchmark DAC1 Pre vs. Bel Canto DAC3

Anyone compare these two DAC's? They both have volume adjustment and USB inputs and I was wondering how they compared sound-wise. The used Bel Canto seems to presently cost the same as a new DAC1 Pre. Thanks in advance.
imaginarynumbers
To enable it to work as a server using a device like the Roku as the remote controller, yes, there was a configuration parameter that had to be set (i'll check the name and get back on that) but it may be different to control WMP directly on the PC/laptop. You basically just need it to output to the USB port. Not sure if that involves special setup or not.

Maybe someone else who knows for sure could chirp in?
Imaginary,

The "Windows Media Sharing" feature of Windows Media Player has to be enabled to allow other network devices, like the Roku or a Squeezebox, to share media files, including music files.

A DAC connected physically via USB does not communicate via a network, so I am pretty certain this would not apply in that case. See if you can find a USB DAC user guide available on-line somewhere. The user guide should indicate what if any special setup is needed for Windows, etc., if any. Most likely, a driver has to be installed and configured and that is it.

Here's an example:

http://www.usbdacs.com/Windows/Windows.html

Interestingly, this indicates that Vista is preffered for better sound quality than XP due to XP resident software that messes with the bits somehow. I can vouch that the sound quality on Vista using the networked media sharing approach is top notch. I suspect the same should be true for a USB DAC + driver as well.

Good luck!
I have both units, however, the DAC1 is an older unit without USB. I like them both but the Bel Canto sounds better and would be my choice if I had to keep only one.