Oversampling DAC Vs. Non Oversampling?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of oversampling vs. non oversampling DACS? I have a Squeezebox 3 and I love it, but I want to buy a DAC and I am not sure which to buy. I listen to Internet radio on the Squeezebox most of the time, which is usually around 128 KBPS and sounds good. However, I want to use the DAC for two-channel home theatre as well, and I will route the DVD through the DAC via a digital cable to listen to music from time to time. What to do? Thanks!!
regafan_1972
When I finally get around to routing music from my G5 Mac I will definitely use the NOS DAC I am using now for two channel. On my system it has kicked ass on all OS DACs, including a modright SACD DAC, that it was put up against.

That was my old NOS DAC. I have upgraded since.
I wouldn't worry about oversampling or not.

I'd chose the DAC based on accounts of how it actually sounds and how the sound will mesh with the rest of your system, not make oversampling or no a determining factor. Each DAC will sound different and some better than others like most things on any particular system.

Check other threads here on A'gon for some useful information about different DACs and how they sound compared to others.
There are DACs.

There are two subcategory of DACs. Digital filtered, or not.

Under the digital filtered category there are hundreds of DACs to try, and each will sound different than each other to varying degrees.

The DACs that do not have a digital filter chip are few in number. They sound significantly different from all OS DACs.

Try to find some non-oversampling DAC to try against any OS DACs you may lay hands on.
I agree on that. I have a $200 Valab non-oversampling dac and so far no other dac has been able to even come close to it. I called Kevin at Valab because he now has a new oversampling dac. He said it was for the people that want their music 'forward and aggressive' and that I probably would not like the new one, but he would send me one to try out if I wanted.

I have heard the obvious improvement in the holographic soundstage with the Valab NOS dac that no other dac has come close to even being close to.

I also own a Weiss DAC2 and a Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 and so far I have to say that I have never become fatigued listening to the Valab.

I am hoping the Weiss will end up outperforming the Valab very soon as it is a new purchase for me.

I will keep you posted.
I have a VALAB modified with TeraDak DC-30W outboard power supply, Mundorf silver/oil output caps and it makes it more dynamic and expansive.