Why CD players so expensive when the fomat is dead

Please explain to me why CD players are still so expensive, considering even the giant Wal-mart has announced they will stop CD sales due to lack of $$ support..It cant be supply and demand!
missioncoonery
03-19-10: Kbarkamian

When was the last time MTV played music?

Never. Video killed the radio star.

I do agree with your premise that our society has become to ADHD to buy a cd for the whole work of the artist. Multi-tasking has ruined many forms of relaxation, including listening to music. Maybe if the cd ran a ticker on the bottom with headline news, scores or stock numbers folks would still buy them. ;D

Cheers,
John
An interesting angle to look at this from is to compare what's happening here in the USA vs. the rest of the world. While I realize the demise of interest in music AND Audio equipment is worldwide, I actually think it's much worse in the states than elsewhere. We always lead, we lead on the way up, and we lead on the way down! I think that general music appreciation is higher, more varied, and less rigid in the Orient and Europe. Don't know if this can or will lead to the salvation of the industries (music and audio gear), but I've always been a glass half-full kinda guy;)
What serious music lover relies on the radio for music exposure? Give me a break. The tired excuse of "they don't make good music anymore" was (of course) thrown out just before that.
hi chazro:

the glass is half full and half empty at the same time.

as to rge radio, dependending upon your musical preferences, and your location, the radio can be a decent source of serious music.
strange, or at best interesting, to look towards supposed trends at walmart to gauge...anything...at all...regarding our hobby. unless of course, walmart supplies your demand for hifi, in which case more power to you.