Anyone solved MF Tri Vista SACD problems?

I am starting this thread for my friend who bought this Musical Fidelity Tri Vista SACD player as used two years ago. Now the transport mechanism and also the servo board (we think) are broken. Does anyone know if there still is some company who can repair these players or modify them with new parts (transport+servo board). It seems to us that Musical Fidelity has moved forward and abandoned its old Tri-Vista customers. No help from their side at all. All info/help is appreciated.
mkilpi
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your post.

It is great have some input on this subject from someone who knows the facts and is able to assess what happened calmly and rationally.

The Philips SACD transport debacle cost a lot of people a lot of money. It also damaged many reputations.

It is important that at that same time as we recognize that customers were hurt and that companies didn't always react as promptly and effectively as they could have done, we don't rush to the kind of overblown, overwrought judgements that "all Brand X is crap, all of the time" as are being posted here.

The Philips SACD transport problem shouldn't be allowed to taint reputations beyond the scope of that singular issue.

Cheers,

Chris
I had a similiar experience with a Krell player. In a ~18 months period, Krell shipped me 5 new replacement units ... 3 was the same and 2 was a replacement/newer model.

It was a hassle and shipping got expensive but Krell stood behind their products and I have no complaints.

I ask Krell why use the Phlip transport and their reason is simply for performance.
Gtfour-Ahhh...hostility? No. Just decided to never support Musical Filelity ever again. (That is my decision-and, last I checked, 60% of thhe kW's are door stops-pretty high failure rate for a great company who's only "fault" is that they got hoodwinked by Phillips (?). I didn't buy a Krell-I bought the MF kW--again, $7,000. I don't care about Krell. I never had a Krell. I believe the MF was limited to 500 units-it would have beean easy enough to stock pile parts for just 500 units (?). I sent my MF back for repair and after almost a month, it came back just as bad (I remember maybe worse) than before--no note-"sorry, we can't fix it" - just sent it back as repaired. (they didn;t test it before return shippment?). And, no - they never made any offer of trade in. My dealer took care of that. Hhe took a nice hit on a trade in for a different brand. Sold to me way below cost "for my trouble". Great dealer (lousy company). All I wanted was for MF to send it back with a little note, "sorry we couldn't fix it-what would you, our $7,000 customer, like for us to do"? That was all I wanted. Before you ask people to step up "and be a man", know the facts. I cited no hostility towards you.
What I love best is how Stereophiles own MF supporter bloats and braggs on about MF gear and they only have a 1 year warranty and now alot of people have door stops.Maybe the mag should rethink before promoting a product with a 1 year warranty and leaving people helpless.
I have a Krell SACD(used) and it still working but for $1500 they will upgrade(if it does fail) it with a new transort & transformer.At least it is something for used purchasers!
Cerrot,

I took the line in your post - 'Fourth, why would I trade mine back to them for another one of their "unrobust" players--as that is all they had when mine broke down.' - to mean that you had been offered and rejected a trade to a different CD player. Apparently it doesn't, so for that and that alone, I apologize.

For the rest, you have enough information in Alex Peychev's post to determine whether all of your remarks about Musical Fidelity are justified.