Upgrading Rotel RCD-1072

I'm looking into upgrading my CDP in the near future and am looking for some opinions/advice. I'm looking in the 1 - 1.5K range, used. My speaker/amp combo is Merlin TSM-MMe and Cary SLI-80 F1 all triode.

I listen to basically everything under the sun with the exception of Country music. Mostly acoustic jazz, singer/songwriter, and prog rock. I'm mainly looking for musicality so no need for dry, over analytical players.

I am looking at a Rega or a Cary CDP but am open to more suggestions. Also, would the difference in sound be substantial or more subtle? Thanks in advance!
nicodemix
Miner, how did you like the Rega compared to the RCD-1072? Also, have you auditioned the Cambridge Audio 840C?
I went from a 1072 to a Linn Majik. I agree that "The Rotel is a tough cookie to beat w/o dropping some dinero". There is one on Audiogon ("never used") for 1.8k from an authorized dealer.

I'm happy with the change, but no doubt the 1072 is a great player.
Yea...The Rega Saturn and some Cary's sounds nice but since its already a warm player, note sure how it would synergize with a tube amp. I dont want TOO much warmth. Thus, I am being swayed toward the direction of the 840C.

Sometimes I wish their werent so many options to choose from these days. :)
Nicodemix,
I am also on the same boat as you (seems the Rotel is a freight cargo boat LOL), I am arranging a whole new system with a digital amp, and I am looking to upgrade my trusty source (1072). My first option was to get a very good DAC since I also want it with my Squeezebox, started looking at the Dacmagic but slowly made my way to a $1000 budget (benchmark 1, wyred dac1, etc). On the other hand, I also find the 840C a great option, since it seems to combine a nice player, and a great DAC that I could use for my squeezebox. I just cant figure whether the Rotel + good dac will be any better than a 840C.

Also looking for warm sound, I plan on tweaking with a tube buffer in between.....
I also own a RCD-1072 and think it's an amazing cd player especially for the coin. I have listened to the tube cary model and cannot say enough good things about it if your ready to spend much more on a better sounding cd player. I was looking at getting the audio research CD7 until I realized a good vinyl section could be put together for the same amount. Couldn't be happier!

Good luck