New Apple TV -- Anyone planning on it?

I went ahead and ordered the new Apple TV. It is $99 and I will use it somewhere in the house. But I am seriously thinking about coupling it with a decent DAC and using it to stream all of my iTunes content. My system includes Martin Logan Summit speakers, Jeff Rowland amp, BAT pre amp. Any comments on whether this is a good idea?
rickschell
Everyone's ears and systems are different, Kbarkamian. That's why I reported what I did. The difference is suttle, but I could hear it. Electrostatic speakers are quite revealing, and they will provide their opinion on all your components and the quality of the music sources too.

You can fit quite a few CD's on a 1TB drive, so I put them on as wave files. My system has very high resolution, and I still have good ears.

Just reporting my findings......
I think WAV is 60% larger than Apple Lossless. Don't hold me to that exact number.

Edavis-

Thanks for not taking my findings as an attack. I've seen too many people get worked up over stuff like that. All we can do is report our own findings. Speaking of which...

I re-ripped several tracks as WAV and Apple Lossless, and 320 Kbps mp3 just to keep things interesting. mp3 was flat, undynamic, and congested, as expected.

I couldn't hear any difference between WAV and Apple Lossless. My system consists of a Bryston B60 integrated, Audio Physic Yara Evolution bookshelves, Apple TV gen 1, and 2 DACs - Theta Cobalt and the new Rega DAC. None of this stuff is the last word in anything, but it's very revealing and honest. The Theta DAC is very detailed and is great at imaging and soundstaging vs the Rega DAC. The Rega DAC beats it in pretty much every other way though. I'm 34 with what I'm told is pretty good hearing.

I'm not saying if I don't hear a difference, no one does. I hate it when people have that mentality. Just reporting my recent re-evaluation and results.
I enjoy getting other people's opinions and learning from their experiences. I have an old set of Martin Logan Requests, Krell FPB 200, Pass Aleph P, and have been using a Krell KAV300 CD player wit Nordost interconnects. I grew tired of searching for CD's in my collection (800+, modest by many standards). I put a PS Audio Digital Link III to upgrade my D/A.

I just purchased an Apple TV 2, and routed the optical output to the PS Audio DL III. I am very impressed by the sound quality I'm getting, and am 400 CD's into ripping my collection. With an iPad to control media access, it has revolutionized my musical experience. I've added a 2nd Apple TV 2 in the basement, using the D/A converter in my Integra 9.8. Again, great sound and access to my music collection.
Couldn't agree more, Edavis. I have the previous gen ATV and use my iPhone to control it. Ripping and synching my CDs wasn't fun, but I'm so glad I took the time to do so. My collection is about half of yours, so I still have a ways to go. I bought the previous ATV so I wouldn't have to stream my music/need the computer on to access my library. I won't go back to a CDP again, that's for sure.

Can't figure out why poeple are so reluctant to go this route. Just because you rip everything doesn't mean you have to get rid of your CDs. I keep them as a back up, and because I want to have the liner stuff around. I keep them in an easily accesable box in the basement if the mood should strike me.

I'd love to get an iPad, but I can't justify the price. If I didn't have the iPhone, it would be easier to though.