horace silver has died

underrated artist and composure as far as i am concerned. just listened to one of my favorite jazz tunes "senor blues" and now will listen to one of my favorite lp's tokyo blues. wondering if anyone else has any favorites
bianchi27
I met Horace Silver when I was in college at CSUN back in the early 70's. He was a friend of one of my instructors. He came to our class one day and chatted us up on jazz for about a half hour. I was very new to jazz back then and I had no idea that this guy was a giant. Fast forward to 1995 and I went to see him at Vartan's Jazz Club when I lived in Denver in the early-mid 90's. I walked over to him after his set to remind him of the day he visited our classroom. He remembered visiting our classroom...but he didn't remember me. We had a great conversation. Vartan's was a killer club in Cherry Creek, a great upscale venue. They had top-name talent all the time. Sadly, Denver would't support it and the club died an agonizing death. I have several of Horace's LP's from his 60's & 70's output. This is sad news.
Horace was a giant. Jazz owes him a huge debt of gratitude: He was a peerless composer of Hard Bop idiom; an inimitably funky pianist; and was an ace promoter of talented, young musicians. I loved how his songs always told a story.
Horace's album "In Pursuit Of The 27th Man" is one of my faves and is very underrated.