Are CD players dead

I went to an audiophile meeting today and the owner of the store said Cd's and cd players are dead. He said you need to start learning about computer audio or you will be left behind. Is what he is saying true?
taters
Nope...I prefer memory readers vs.. cd transports.

I have better things to do than tranfer/rip 3000 CD's to a hardrive..., I know there are alot of people who think the same way. YMMV
Roxy54 and Rocketman,
Agree with both of you, enough already with this redundant topic.Millions upon millions of CDs with millions of folks who still enjoy and buy them.
This topic has become boring but I feel compelled to make a comment. It is interesting that the poster of this thread mentioned that it was "the owner of the store" who made the comment that CDs are dead. Of course they want you to believe that CDs are dead because they realize that CDs have reached the saturation point with consumers. The only way they will make money from you in the future is if they can convince that the newest format has made all others obsolete. If you are over 50, you've seen this movie before. Remember tapes and records!? You probably have most of your favorite music in several formats
(possibly all the previous formats), so do you really need
another? I'm keeping my turntable, cassette players and CD
players forever, and the software that goes with them. If
they are successful in replacing CDs with servers and downloads, I'll be the guy at the Goodwill store sorting through the racks and buying CDs at 10 for $1.00. Thanks!
Tonykay ill be there with you looking for deals!
I already found 1000 lps in a year, I went from computer audio to simple vinyl set up for a reason soul conection and follow my emotional emphaty with the music no what stores owners kept telling me about music servers etc.
maybe i prefer natural analog sound, I know computers but doesn't give me satisfaction for listening sessions.
I am sure many of you guys feel the same way.
I have nakamichi dragon deck.
Sony 5400cdp
Ps audio pwdac
Rega p5
None of them will go nowhere, just make the hobby more interesting.
my 2 cents
With the purchase price of downloaded music being close to the cost of buying a hard disk CD that was produced in a brick and mortar manufacturing facility, it should be no surprise to anyone why the music industry is pushing this IMO flawed media.

Click you way to the New CD Releases section of the Barnes & Noble website and you’ll find that every week, close to a thousand new CD’s are released.