Why CD players will never be dead

The main reason , there is just way to many CD's out there to end a format . Anyone want to take a guess how many ? The manufacturers are still putting there time and resources into developing new and better players , and people with servers seem to be spinning disc's more than ever .
tmsorosk
The comments like the above make me realize even more how i am still in a backwater.
I do not have any stuff to do all the cool server things with.
Right now i am pretty satisfied with my rig.
Perhaps next year i will start looking into doing a music server.
Elizabeth,

IMHO, most server systems are still a bit wonky...sort of where home wifi was 5 years ago...a tad complex if one isn't computer savy. That is rapidly changing and I suspect most companies will have easy-to-install and reliable systems within 24 months. Anyone who says setting up state-of-the art computer audio is currently as easy as pressing play on a cd player is probably trying to sell something. One day it will be that easy, but not right now.
Steve
I am thinking of going down the path you've outlined. I have heard that Amarra is good for playback but what should I use for ripping to the hard drive on my mac? Is Itunes good enough or do I need a designated ripping program. Also should I rip in AIFF or WAV???

Ray
I still buy cds both new and used. (The new Impulse 2-on-1s are excellent and cheap.) I only handle them long enough to rip them to disk and then I file them away in my storage room.

I find the sound is better off hard disk than any of my 3 players ever were. I don't care if cds are discontinued as long as downloads are as inexpensive. I have never been a fan of the cd format.
Rrm - use XLD for ripping to Mac - its free:

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html

You must be on line to rip using Accurate-Rip for comparison. iTunes is not good enough.

I would recommend to rip CD's to AIFF if you want tags and album art to be preserved. If you only care about sound quality, rip to .wav.

These are great questions. More audiophiles should ask these. This way, you dont have to do it over, only once.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio