Bricasti M1 - where is the music

I had a chance to audition the highly-praised Bricasti M1 at my dealer. The associated gear include ATC 100 passive floor stander, ML pre and mono block. We used playback designs MPS5 for comparison and as the transport. I auditied this DAC hoping to use it as a secondary source to my Klimax.

We used primarily Diana Krell's CDs, including Live in Paris, and violin solo and concertos.

The positive:

M1 is technically excellent. The highs are extended without harshness. Mids are fairly transparent. Bass hits deep with power and definition. M1 reminds me of DAC1 and dare I say it's a souped up DAC1 in every respect (could be a good or bad thing)

The negative:

I would say the biggest weakness and ultimately my dismissal of this otherwise technically proficient DAC is its ulter lack of musicality. For example, human voice do not sound real and organic when compared with MPS-5. When Diana sings, I did not get the imagery of her singing. Like the mids, the highs on M1 leave much to be desired. For example, symbols in Living in Paris and violin solos lack the real life quality associated with those instrument. M1 sounded just like another digital DAC, displaying all the negative aspect of digital music. On the very high notes of violin, all I heard was a monotone sound, without the usual harmonics and woodiness I am used to with Klimax and what I heard on MPS-5. Soundstage of M1 feels contrived and not realistic. I did not hear the complex layering as with he MPS-5, nor did I hear as deep of a soundstage.

I believe if you like how DAC-1 sounds and wants a more refined and upgraded version of that sound, M1 may be a great choice. However, if you value real-life organic sound with music unfolding in a natural way, you may want to look elsewher
e.

Overall I was very disappointed in the M1 when I had very high expectations after reading the latest review in an audio magazine.
chesebert
Antigrunge,
The single-ended connections are not a problem for the transformer buffers and linestages. They have both RCA and XLR in and RCA and XLR out. This give the advantage that you can drive balanced from the DAC and then Single-ended from the transformer.

Still a HUGE benefit in SQ using transformers rather than resistor passives or active volume control.

If I had Wavac amps, I would do it. Once you hear the difference, you never want to go back.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Lula, Perhaps you would ask your question from 7/13 again to get this thread back on track. I also am interested in the answer.
Yes, we would appreciate Zugisland, or anyone else, to inform us as to what DACs the Bricasti was put up against. Also preferred filter(s) would be also be helpful.
Don't you think that a new DAC should come with all the latest inputs and possible supported sample rates?

I haven't heard the M1 yet, but know their other Outboard gear (M7 reverb) which many swear by and is very good.

The Briscati M1 has no USB, no FW, no thunderbolt, a single ASEBU input, no DSD support, no clock in or out, (maybe it doent need it) and no volume control.

So after you blow $8k, you still have to buy an aditional interface for a computer plus the relevant cabling, preamps etc.

Don't you start to feel its a lot of cash for an algorithm and a nice box? Surely the age of expensive DACs, unless it is utterly cutting edge, is over?

It's great to see a lovely Mark Levinson esque product, but I seem to remember they used to come with every conceivable input and output for their generation.

Sorry to be a moaning old lady but where is its value? There are many great sounding DACs these days... As I understand it in a saturated market it's got slightly better bass than the small DCS and the DAC 202. What's the point?
CHad you are misinformed the M1 does come with usb aes and coax inputs as well as a volume control ..I think you are looking at the specs from the original M1 ..which didnt have these things. Also it as auto select which selects the input automatically as it detects a signal . Didnt see any other product with that feature., So in answer to your ? it does have state of the art funactionality ( also with sample rate shown on led ) to go along with its suberb sound ..