Opting for no CDP -- only to regret it?

Anyone else find that this happened? I've got all my CDs on a hard drive in a lossless format, and was happily accessing it all via my Squeezebox Touch playing through an outboard DAC. At other times, I was spinning vinyl records, grooving to the tunes the old-fashioned way. Sold one CDP. Then another. Finally, my third and last. Which is just fine, most of the time.
Except when I get a new CD and just want to listen to it. Having to rip it first sometimes feels like so much damn fuss. Or when I feel I'm not exactly getting all I might from some of my favorite HDCDs. Wish then I could just pop one of Neil Young's Archives discs into an appropriate player.
Anyone else venture down the road without a CD player only to turn back and get one again? Anyone else have occasional regrets but just decided to accept the new, CDP-free world?
Regards,
-- Howard
hodu
NO regrets, NONE.

Respectfully: Which is more fuss...burning a new one to your library...or constantly searching through hundreds of cds for a specific cd or a song when the mood strikes you?

I'm the opposite, I'll NEVER EVER go back to a CDP. And believe me I'm a "set in my ways" type of person, who resisted 'digital music.'

I've achieved much better sound with a lossless source a Vlink and a decent stand-alone DAC that I ever did with stand alone CD players of comparable or even greater value.

If I want to hear something immediatey, without burning to library...I have that option too.

I have yet to think of a single drawback... there's nothing nostalgic to me about cold plastic media.
I've gone to an Apple TV Gen 1. Thought I would miss having a CDP, so I kept my XBox (mainly used as a DVD player) in the system. Haven't used it as a transport yet. It's been about 2 1/2 years.

I do understand the itch to hear that new CD ASAP. I don't and could never wait to get home - they always play in the car on the way!
Why not have both? Olive and Naim offer players with both a transport for a quick play and an internal hard drive to rip your CD to. So far, pretty good reviews in the audio press. There is also the new Memory Player MP64 from Nova Physics which uses flash memory for playback.
I just use digital out off my DVD player and send it to my DAC for the times I just want to pop in a CD. Most of the time I play it off my computer, ripping it first.