Outstanding brands?

Just learned that zanden when set up correctly is simply one fine system.
What other brands could be considered to be in the same league.
My idea of a fine system is one that I get lost in the music and feel as thought the instruments are there positioned in front of me like in the concert hall. With the bass sounding realistic, and the air surrounding the instruments. Playing symphonic music is one good way to challenge the system, but I also listen to jazz, rock, brazilian, big band among others. As my system has gone through changes the sound has improved and each genre proves to be exciting.
Experienced a-goners know as we get closer to a realistic sounding system our ears get better we hear deeper into the soundstage and realize it is still a recording, but there are times for some reason or other there are moments that what we hear sounds damn real. The recording plays a big role no pun intended, just picked up some mercury's and london's, and it is an eye er ear opener to say the least.
In the end it is all about the music, the equipment is just a means. I still appreciate my car system and work place radio, but in those cases I am filling in the missing nuances and details.
pedrillo
Mapman,
"Does it have something to do with the fact that they are omni's and the soundstage can go from wall to wall as would be the case listening to a live performance in most venues?"
Yes it does to my mind and just that is not natural to me.
A plugged guitar string should not go wall to wall, it should emanate from some point within the soundstage with high precision and natural in size (îf recorded right in the first place) and that is just that what (to my ears) the MBLs cannot do properly. To me they are for people who are unfamiliar with live concerts and I don't mean rock in big arenas. Of course they are impressive, but not particulary musical as far as I am concerned.
"A plugged guitar string should not go wall to wall, it should emanate from some point within the soundstage with high precision "

The MBL 111s I heard did this exceptionally well with all instruments in a very deep as well as wide soundstage. Similar results with the OHMs in my system.

"..and natural in size (îf recorded right in the first place) and that is just that what (to my ears) the MBLs cannot do properly."

This is where omni's like MBL and OHM will differ IMHO. Properly set up, the instrument will emanate from a specific location, but the location may fill more space vertically from floor to ceiling, which might sound unnatural in a nearfield listening scenarion, but then can spread from there more naturally, like a ripple in a pond or sound in a concert hall.

Too small a room or listening too nearfield might make this seem like an unnatural perspective, but not the case in a more typical non-nearfield listening location and in a larger room better suited for the presentation of omnis.

Given the nature of the beast (omnis), it seems like a stretch to me to not label MBL an outstanding brand just because it is not to everyone's personal tastes.
Good reasoning Mapmann, but allow me to remain sceptical. "Outstanding" is a subjective value statement, not an objectified label. I don't doubt that many people will find the MBLs outstanding as you find your OHMs. For me, I have some suspicion that they tend to screw with phase- the MBLs that is- and that is something I am finicky about. Opinions and tastes differ thankfully. Otherwise we would have nothing to talk about, would we.... (:
I think the innovative technology and resulting sound of the MBLs alone makes the brand distinctive and outstanding in certain ways that of course will not appeal to all. My only qualm is that this stuff is very expensive and beyond the means of even many audiophiles.

OHM, though similar in its sound in many ways, is a different case. Here, the emphasis is on making good sound, omni or otherwise, affordable to many not necessarily via major new innovations (the WALSH driver concept is a good 40 years old already) but through ongoing refinement of the original design and offering cost effective upgrade paths for anybody who owns any pair of OHMs. Its a very blue collar approach to delivering good sound to the masses.
I'd have to toss Audio Research in there also IMHO.

I recently acquired my first piece of ARC tube gear and have been extremely pleased with the sound.

Plus, this is another company that has been around for ages and offers customers upgrade paths for most everything as I understand it.

To me looking out for customers via service and support in addition to delivering good value products is a big part of any outstanding hifi brand.