cartridge on budget table?

at what point do experienced vinyl guys draw the line when it comes to spending on cartridge vs looking into a better table? I have a old Onkyo 1027p and the Audio technice budget cart isnt seeming to cut i, very etched high frequency....can anyone guide me in a good direction for performance on the cheap, sorry to add but a disability limits my funds a great deal, I also think a more laid back top end sound would suit my very detailed speakers well, also for info I am using a PS Audio 4.5 Pre for phono with Innersound Eros speakers fed by a tube pre, thanks all, I have caught a glimpse of the vinyl magic but hope to try diffrent semi-budget needles on my table till hopefully one day a more precise table can be had,,,again thank you for your time and help, Chad
chadnliz
Oyster cart. which is on my Project TT (Least expensive model) is pretty darn good. The cart. retails for $60 I believe. Denon makes a high output coil cart. which is very good as well. DL something...retail around $130.
Have you worked with the VTA. Improper arm height can make a cartridge sound just as you described.
yes I have Newbie, only seems I can do so much with this set-up, I even tried 3 phono stages, the P.S. Audio, an Old
Carver and A Proton, just cant loose that very top end grain, a friend from AGON is coming out today maybe he can help me out, thanks guys for tips, keep them coming
Have you considered a Shure M97xE? I currently use one in place of the Rega Elys listed on my system page. It's not the most exciting-sounding cart out there, but it is slightly warm and very non-fatiguing, which seems to meet your needs. There is a lengthy review in the Reviews>Analog section here on Audiogon, and it is available at Amazon.com for $60 with free shipping.

Brent