Analog vs. CDP: A fair comparison?

Ok, in summary, I'm planning on selling my Cary 303/300 and taking the funds and buying a TT rig including Table, Arm & Cartridge. I'll worry about the phono stage, record cleaning machine, etc. later.

Assuming I get $2,500 from the CDP, will I be able to get a used rig that will at least match the sound quality? Assume also that I will have a phono stage budget of $1,000.

Rest of the system if Cary 300SEI.

Is this a fair comparison? Or, will the sound just be different (i.e. tubes vs ss).

thanx much
pawlowski6132
If you're into the sensual part of the hobby, then there's no doubt that a vinyl rig will suit your needs. Its far more tangible than a CD player or DAC. It's just the very mechanical nature of the whole thing. Once you're into it though you will most likely find yourself trying to improve it.

And there's no doubt that spending more on analogue will make it better. I'm not so sure that the same kind of expenditures in digital reap the same level of rewards.

Definitaly keep some form of CD player - it's still music you like afterall, and music is what it's all about in the long run.

As for the TT - I would take one of 3 approaches if I was in your shoes. (1) go cheap and used - if you don't like it or if you want to upgrade then there's little to nothing lost (2) find a used deal on something nice, like a Well tempered or a VPI (3) get something with an upgrade path, like a VPI. But the real differences in analogue sound come with the cartridge and phono stage - so get something reasonably decent to start with there.

Enjoy,
Bob
Will I think an input from the digital camp is in order. Are you nuts. I have a small software collection 600 CD's 150 albums (the wife has a CD collection of about 350). The decesion to invest the majority of my budget in my digital front end was a no brainer. I do enjoy my vinyl on ocassion but as others have said it is alot of work. I would recomend a modest TT setup. This is the route I choose to go. My TT is pretty much plug and play.
I have been reading this tread with great interest. I too am posed with the same digital/analogue quandary. I have a main system which has taken me 6 years to get where I wanted it. Now completed I just could not stop myself, so hence was born a second system, I call system Jr. My main system is all digital/solid state Wadia/Meridian with full range Aerial Acoustics model 9 speakers. Very happy with that system. On system Jr. I wanted a different direction. I went with Revel Gem monitors, Cary Audio tube intergraded and for now A Rotel CD player. I went to replace the Rotel with something more commensurate with the rest of the system when a turntable was recommended to me instead, A VPI Scout. I love everything about this hobby, including the intimacy with the hardware/software but I am concerned about a $3K plus investment in analogue when I know digital can sound good. I have about 150 LPs in perfect shape I put away 25 years ago. Any suggestions? Bill
Billt1,

In one sense there is no reason to "worry" about a $3K investment in analogue. Vinyl repays significant investments much more convincingly than digital.

But the flip side is also true. Unless you're a skilled DIY-er, vinyl needs more put into it than digital. There are few if any upward spending limits and the temptation to take it further is always there, simply because experience quickly teaches you that the paybacks will be real. Three years ago we questioned our sanity before dropping $6K on our first high end rig. We've since tripled that investment and more. The sonic results surpass digital at any price, but of course the sanity question remains unresolved.

I'd suggest visiting a friend or dealer who has a good quality vinyl setup. Play some familiar CD's to give yourself a feel for the system's character. Then try a few of your LP's. That might give you some sense of what the payoff might be.
Don't do it Bill! Don't listen to the Siren's Song! Contact me about those 150 LP's instead!

Vinyl sucks!