Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
My 301 has grown, it now weighs about 50 lbs. That's junior size to many of you ;-). Went from 4 feet to 3. If nothing else, it's a lot easier to level with 3 than with 4. I added MDF on top to see how that would change things. I do seem to have the "black background" that is often talked about - not bad for a rumbly old idler drive ;-). I know I can smack the thing hard and it plays on undisturbed ( tried that just for fun ). It's very solid, no footstep effects either, which I had with my Thorens. I'm still having fun digging out records I haven't played for years and being amazed at how good many of them sound. Next, a second arm with mono cart, then a decent finish. This thing is as big as it's going to get now, until I get a concrete floor!

Idler on, dudes...

Dave
Please advise! A Lenco rebuild is in my near future. I will likely use an RB1000 tonearm and I need ideas as to which cart would be best for the ultimate in PRAT Nirvana, Kundalini, Kunta Kinte and Woogie Boogie.
I've been told that "the RB1000 has an effective mass of 10." Don't know if this is true, could be a belt-drive dirty dog conspirator. They lurk among us- beware.

Hi Oregon,

Having neither the cart nor the arm, I'm only going to parrot what I've heard others report and what I would try in your position for starters.
The humble Denon DL103.
That is, if you're low-output capable.

Maybe others will chime in...
i know this is off subject, but internet radio on good headphones is seriously exciting. i've just discovered a parisian jazz station at 192kbytes playing very nice stuff. wonderful. lenco in storage so needs must! going to try headamp into it in a min to see if it boosts qulity...
Mario,
Thanks for your response. I should have mentioned this: I currently use an RB300 with a Denon 103 on a rebuilt Lenco. It sounds great.

Any ideas as to which cart would be a GREAT match for an RB1000? Lenco lovers?