Thinking of modding my 834p, or should I move on?

I have an 834p deluxe and it needs a small repair. The cost of the repair isn't that much off of having some additional modifications performed, and once the board is desoldered, I was thinking...I may as well go whole hog! However, I am wondering if investing nearly 1k in modifications is really cost effective. I use a Koetsu Black and am thinking of moving up the Koetsu line and/or buying a Grado Statement Statement. I've read quite a few times that the 834p transformers are not that great. The Deluxe sells for around 900-1000 used, so for 2k I could perhaps buy the EAR 324 used or look at something else, unless at even 2k, the moddified 834p would be a solid investment. I like the sound, but I admit I don't have much experience with phono stages at all, and this is the only tubed one I have experience with.

Any input would be welcomed.
zanth
Hi Pauly! Thanks for the link. My phono stage is still dead and every once in a while I'll hear a small chirp from my TT begging to be played. I really need to get my phono stage taken care of. I'll read through the link you provided and hopefully it can get me thinking more. I believe I will at least repair the RCA's so that I have the unit functioning, I'm leaning more towards Steve at EAR to mod the unit, cheaper and he knows the EAR inside and out, as he well should. I just hate shipping internationally hence my inclination to send straight to Parts Connexion who does fabulous work and whom with I have experience.
Skushino did
a quick scan of (used) phono stages currently for sale
Holy Shmoly (or is it schmoly). Come on, Zanth, solder those rca's and buy one of the used phonos there. Really. The few I know are really good (Klimo, Ayre, Xono) and,
I myself probably would not invest $2k in the EAR
. Agreed, good as this unit is.
Sorry to be insistent -- but you're an audiophile brother after all!
Agree with Greg. Modifying the EAR will improve the performance but at the end of the day it's still an EAR 834P.
Disagree with Greg and Audiopheil.

There is nothing wrong with the Ear except that it has parts that one would expect with Best Buy gear.

Agree with Greg and Audiopheil.

Grab the soldering iron and do it yourself. A set of v-caps (the very best caps out there period - IMHO) will cost you $250-$300 maybe. Another $50 for bypass caps and some good resistors and you have a serious high end kit. No shipping cost or weeks of waiting ...

Regards
Paul
BTW, the Vishays are bulk metal foil, not metal film; less noise and edginess. They are also available nude which is better sounding but physically delicate.

IMHO the Hovlands would be in the direction of smoothing over detail, perhaps not in the "right" direction for the EAR unit. I would favor the DynamiCaps and try pealing off at least some of the excess outer tape.

"You may want to crack open the ear and have a look and see if you can replace them yourself."

I'm into the mod thing but isn't it going a bit far to replace your ears?
;-)