Record Sleeves - Which ones and where?

I'm looking to replace all of my record sleeves with better ones. I've seen polyethylene, polypropylene, and rice paper lined. What's the difference? I'm looking for the best place to buy them too. Is it worth getting outer sleeves too? Please advise. Thanks!
spenceroo
Spenceroo,
What I have always done, and I'm sure all will agree with my practices, is that any plain jane inner paper sleeves with no writing on them, or the ones that may show just other releases by the manufacturer (EMI-Capitol, RCA-etc) I usually dump as quickly as possible.

Those that have Pictures, and/or Lyrics, and information about the particular release, definitely do keep them, and in general, I have usually found ample room to place these inside the LP Jacket with the LP, and new Inner Sleeve without too much crowding, or difficulty getting the LP in, and out.

If you should personally find a release, in which it is just too tight a fit to fit both Inner Sleeves, then yes, place the saved original inner Sleeve outside the Jacket, and place at the rear of the Jacket within the Outer Sleeve for protection, and safe keeping for future reference.

Hope this helps. Mark
Thanks guys. Very interesting. Now I have about 800 outer sleeves to buy. Sheesh. When does it ever end. I've been buying a ton of inner sleeves since I got a used Nitty Gritty Record Doctor a few months ago, which I absolutely love, by the way (brought a whole new clean experience to my vinyl). I had never really thought about outer sleeves. You're right, with just inner sleeves, its like only doing half the job.
Thanks again Mark for your precise help. I'm going to call Music Direct and inquire about the 6 mil outer sleeves as well as inners. Do you really need inner sleeves if you put the whole album, cover and all, in an outer sleeve? I'm suspecting that the old paper sleeves flake and whatnot onto the vinyl making them dirty correct? Is there a difference between polypropylene and polyethylene sleeves? I've seen both for about the same price.
Hi Spenceroo,
What I believe about the Original Paper Sleeves, and I'm sure this is why we all "convert" over to a better Inner Sleeve, is that the repeated removal, and insertion of the LP will eventually cause scratching to the LP. The Paper IMO, is very abrasive, and not as forgiving as Poly-Plastic, or the very good Rice Paper.

Generally, you'll find on new high end quality releases-reissues, such as DCI, EMI, and of course Mobile FIdelity Sound Labs (yes, there are others as well) that they will come with high quality Poly Sleeves right from the Presser-Manufacturer.

My technique for removing, and re-inserting LPs from thier Sleeve, is to insure my hand never touches the grooves at any cost. I always reach inside the Sleeve, and let my fingers support, and come in contact with the LP at the Label Area only, while my Thumb grasps-touches the very outer edge only. I let the gravity of the LP be supported in this hand, and carefully slide the LP out from its Sleeve, holding the Sleeve with the other hand. It's a bit of a balancing act, but one gets good quickly, without any mishaps. Same process for re-inserting the LP.

Hand oils, dirt, and what other nasties one might have on thier hands is something that should never get on your LPs. Greasy Pizzas, and LPs most certainly don't mix very well! :-)

CDs of course aren't quite so sensitive, or prone to damage, but even these I always grasp from the very edges, and never touch the Playing surfaces. Mark